z

Young Writers Society

Scheduled Downtime: February 25, 6am GMT to ?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:52 am
View Likes
Nate says...

All times are in your local time

On , the Young Writers Society will be going down for maintenance. The downtime is necessary in order to do some updates to the server, and has been scheduled at a time when the fewest number of people are online.

The updates include upgrading the server's operating system to Ubuntu 13.04, upgrading the MySQL server, and upgrading the Apache server. They also include upgrading the forums to the latest version of phpBB.

Assuming only minor hiccups, the upgrades themselves should only take an hour to two hours. However, one benefit of the upgrades is that it will be possible to re-enable the forum search function. Doing this, though, will require indexing all of the posts in the forum, of which there are over a million. As you can imagine, that'll probably take a bit. Technically, it could be done while the website is up, but it'd take much longer. So, I'm going to do it with the website down, and hopefully it'll take only a couple hours.

So all in all, YWS should be down for no more than 5 hours. Thus, that means YWS should only be down from to .

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:58 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

So this means I can either do my homework on the downtime or goof off over at the backup site.

See y'all there!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:04 pm
lostthought says...

That's the backup site?
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:08 pm
Blues says...

Yes! It's usually where people hang out when YWS is undergoing maintenance.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 pm
lostthought says...

May explain a lot
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Everything should be good to go now. If anyone runs into any unexpected issues, just let me know.

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher