z

Young Writers Society

How To Use The YWS Chat Bar

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:05 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The Young Writers Society chat bar is a full-featured instant messaging service that you may use while browsing YWS if you have completed at least five reviews:

You may also create chatrooms when you want to talk with more than one person, which you can set to private or public:

Chatrooms are great for organizing storybooks, writing a novel with multiple people, or even for just having random fun!

However, use of the chat bar is restricted. As mentioned, you will only see it if you have completed 5 or more reviews. This is to prevent spammers from bothering you! Misuse of the chat bar can also lead to the privilege of it being taken away. Misuse includes insulting someone, asking people you do not know to review your work, and using it to annoy.

The chat bar also works on mobile devices. To enable this, go the Settings Dashboard then to the Preferences tab, and then click Yes next to "Chat Bar on Mobile":

(Note: you will not see this option if you have not yet completed 5 reviews)

This is not recommended! It is turned off by default for a reason -- it is very buggy. If you do turn it on, do so at your own discretion. (Side note: You may notice the "view ads" setting. You can turn off ads by purchasing a pro account. See "Become a supporter" at the bottom of the site.)

Questions? Fire away!

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

I have a question. Well more of a statement.
I have never turned on the "chat bar on mobile devices" button, but I could use it on my android. However it was fiddly, as I couldn't zoom in. what would enabling it do?
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm
Nate says...

It would do what you already saw. As stated, no support is given for chat bar on mobile devices and it's extremely buggy.

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
— Thomas Neill