z

Young Writers Society

Questionable Reactions

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:32 pm
jamesMarcus says...

Sarah twisted her strand of fiery red hair in her freckled fingers. Like I introduced her earlier Sarah was an old friend of mine but we weren’t exactly “tight”. We had been in the same batch since elementary school and I knew her for being a nice ginger kid who wore plenty of crystals around her neck and always had a handy deck of worn out tarot cards. Things got a little strange when I started dating Alexandra and by strange I mean she started getting moody when she saw me around her. Whatever that was all about she seemed like her old self once Alex was gone.

Today she sat next to me in Commerce looking exceptionally dressed up. She wore some sort of short sparkly t-shirt with a fortune teller lady on it and khaki colored cargoes along with red sneakers. She wore her usual crystals around her neck. One of them always caught my attention and that was a clear blue crystal fixed in a pendant with writings on it. Along with her jewelry and sparkling t-shirt, she probably lit up the class room. Commerce class was located on the top floor which had the shabbiest whiteboards and messed up desks with spray paint all over. I sat there with my head on the desk and observed Sarah place tarot cards over and over again. She had a look of frustration in her eyes.

“You ok? You’ve been doing the same thing with your cards for the past fifteen minutes” I asked.
“I’m gonna continue till Mr.Bing reaches the top floor and class starts! I’m not giving in that easily spirits!” she exclaimed.
“Well ok, don’t let me get in the way…” I responded confused.
Her eyes shifted to me in worry as I broke the trance she was in.
“Ugh, I’m sorry. It’s just that I’m trying to find out some answers about the new transfer student from California…Estella Reverno. Maybe she provided me with some incomplete information.”
“Estella? What do you know about her? What sort of answers are you searching?” I blurted out. I regretted opening my mouth when I saw the look on her face. Gratefully the bell rang and I grabbed my books and stormed out angrily.

I was mad at myself, I couldn’t act normally even to the mention of her name! I decided I would avoid her subject from now on no matter who talks of her. I could avoid looking at her trough out the last year of high school!

As my mind ran through methods of avoiding that...that! FORCE OF ATTRACTION! I realized I was still storming around 1 floor and I bumped into a brunette holding a stack of books nearly touching the ceiling. The books fell on my head, no serious damage.
“I’m so sorry! I wasn’t looking! Are you ok?” I asked.
“Haha we just can’t stop meeting each other by accident can we?” she giggled.
I looked up in horror to see a pair of dark brown empty eyes looking down at me. I grabbed my bag and got up to leave in a rush.

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings