z

Young Writers Society

A Fire For Geno

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:11 pm
McDaydreamer says...

"Now to finish this..." Munletta mumbled under her breath BOOM! A flash of smoke abruptly appeared in the narrow cave the siybl called "home" after the smoke cleared a dragon no bigger than a grown mans' palm appeared in the sibyls' black bulky cauldren "Now.. For part two of my plan......"

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:21 am
neonwriter says...

nice
We shall never forget 4-20-99

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:25 am
Ranger51 says...

Hello there! Welcome to YWS! :)

I have to say, this is definitely the shortest piece I've read on here, but I like your style. *clears throat* And now I shall nitpick....

McDaydreamer wrote:"Now to finish this..." Munletta mumbled under her breath. (period. The 'boom' isn't part of the sentence. BOOM! A flash of smoke abruptly appeared in the narrow cave the siybl called "home". (Period again. They have this tendency of showing up at the end of sentences... ;) But I love the description!) after the smoke cleared a dragon no bigger than a grown mans' (that should be "man's") palm appeared in the sibyls' (and that's "sibyl's" black bulky cauldren. (Period. Also, that's spelled "cauldron") "Now... For part two of my plan...... Use the same number of periods for elipses when you're writing formally like this - it's just more professional-looking. The number most people use is three, FYI."

You seem to have an excellent style and mood going here. However, you really need to work on your grammar. If this was just a first draft and you planned on going back and fixing it, you should probably do that before you post it - it saves a lot of time for reviewers. It also can give the impression that you just lazily punched in a vague idea for a story and hit the "Submit" button, which can seem disresppectful. (Not that I think that's the impression you're trying to give.)

However, I'd definitely like to see more of this. I don't know if it's a tidbit of a story you're already writing or just a random scene that popped into your head, but if it's the former I'd love to hear the rest. Also, it was a great piece - I'm not going to argue with that - but you might have made it a bit... longer. You've done a great job of describing things and not dragging them out, but you may want to add more events or something to create more than a five-second read. I love snapshot pictures that leave the reader asking questions, but with this I didn't even understand why it's called "A Fire fo Geno." If it's part of a bigger story, please explain that or you may confuse people.

Overall, I give this a definite thumbs-up for the style and wording, but the punctuation leaves much to be desired, which leaves me neutral overall. There seemed to be a lack of effort there... but fix that and fill it out a little, and you've got a pretty good piece! =D

(PS: if you've got any questions about the review or YWS, I'd love to be of help! :))
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:57 pm
AriannaK says...

I like it.
Short, but interesting. My mind immediatly starts thinking. Who is Munletta? That are they finishing? Whats the dragon look like? Whats their plan?
Deffinetly gets me hooked, wondering what is going on and what is going to happen.

:)

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:21 am
apple96 says...

Hi McDayDreamer

This piece starts by bringing the reader right into whats going on. It akes me feel like I want to read more because although I've read the first paragraph of the piece I already want to know what is going to happen next. I want to know who these people are, what their plan is and what part the dragon plays in the plan. It also leaves me wondering what this dragon is like. In some pieces dragons can speak or are friendly and live alongside people while in some others dragons rampage through villages burning down buildings and eating their livestock. This piece really does leave me wanting more and is very effective. However it could still work very well if it were a bit longer because with this piece I can't really picture what the scene is like, there isn't enough description about this cave etc.

Hope this helped

- apple96
'Are you saying Ni to that old woman?'
'Yes'
'Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history'

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller