z

Young Writers Society

Virus irruption

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

Spoiler! :
I've been writing this secret novel and these are the first few paragraphs (more like a few lines) of its third book. 'Virus irruption' is the subtitle of the book. I just want to know whether these paragraphs (or lines) are okay for starting the story :).

“No, no, and no. That’s final.” Henry spoke in an exasperated tone.

“Why not, brother? What’s so wrong with visiting our parents for a change?” Joseph asked, bewildered. They were in a dreary apartment with grey painted walls and very little furniture. Henry sank back into his newly bought arm chair, digging his nails into the small cushion which lay on his lap. Joseph treaded the room, thinking of several ways to persuade his brother on letting him visit his parents.

He stopped and opened his mouth to say something but Henry held up a hand. “I told you. No,” he said, sternly and went back to enjoying the warmth which emitted from the heater beside him.

Joseph pouted and walked away silently, feeling himself surrender. Henry sighed. “Sit down,” he said, gesturing towards a bean bag which lay on the soft carpet, a few feet away from the arm chair. Joseph shook his head stubbornly and went to look out the window.

It seemed as if nobody ever cleaned it. The glass was all dirty and smudged, obscuring most of the sight. Joseph tried to open the window by lifting the wooden pane but it was crammed shut.

“It won’t open… I’ve tried everything with it. Nothing ever works,” Henry spoke in a bored tone.

“Everything, huh? I’m sure you’ve never tried this before.” Joseph smiled cunningly at himself as his eyes changed color from greenish-brown to bright red.

“What’re you up to?” Henry got up swiftly. He stared at his younger brother wearing a dubious expression on his face while marching forward. Then, before he could even reach him, the window shifted upwards, letting in the cool fresh air.
Last edited by Twinkle4ever on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 pm
View Likes
tgirly says...

Oooh! It's interesting. You should PM me when you've got more of it posted. It definitely peequed my interest. My only critique is that you do a lot of showing instead of telling. I do that too though, so it's still a nice piece. Good luck, hope this helps!
-tgirly
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:57 am
phoenixwriter says...

I think that the beginning telling the brother's age could be left out, or could be introduced in a different way.

The furniture and lonely room could be better described like you described everything else. Put those good skills of yours to use on everything possible! (am I sounding too bossy? can't help it. deal with it. but this story is yours to change and revise. do what you want)

Other than that, this is a good start. An excellent show of writing skills.
"Which came first? The Phoenix or the flame?"

-H.P. Deathly Hallows

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

“No, no, and no. That’s final.” Henry, a young adult in his early twenties,spoke in an exasperated tone.

that information is definitely unneeded in the first sentence.

Joseph treaded the room, thinking of several ways to persuade his brother on letting him visit his parents.

this line also feels unneeded. It's obvious that Joseph is trying to convince Henry when he says “Why not, brother? What’s so wrong with visiting our parents for a change?”

He stopped and opened his mouth to say something but Henry held up a hand,
period instead of comma after hand

“Everything huh? I’m sure you’ve never tried this before.”
comma after everything

“What’re you up to?” Henry, who could only see Joseph’s back, got up swiftly.
I'd take this part out too. It's not really important.

Then, before he could even reach him, the window shifted upwards, letting in the cool fresh air.
I assume his brother used some form of magic, but it's a bit unclear.

I like the idea of the two brothers. Joseph who seems nice, and the older brother Henry seems unpredictable (and who also appears to have some kind of magic powers :) ) It sounds like these two could get themselves in a lot of trouble, which makes me think this could be a really exciting story!

But personally, I don't think this is the best way to start the story. The beginning didn't really hook me, and the setting just felt a bit boring (a drab room, could be anywhere). There must be a more exciting way to introduce Henry's supernatural powers.

I feel like you've got an awesome story here :D Keep going!
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus