z

Young Writers Society

Lachrymose and a Clock Tower

Reviews: 3
Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:09 pm
GummyWorm says...

The night cried. It wept without restraint.
It cried fat, gloppy tears that dropped like lead marbles from the sky, landing on her frazzled hair and ruddy cheeks. She walked down the quiet road, hands in pockets, feet dragging across the mucked-up gravel. Mascara bled from her eyes, but it didn’t bother her. Nobody else gave a damn so why should she?
“They’re gone,” she told herself. “Gone like dust in the wind. Gone like the light of day. Gone, gone, gone.” Yet she was still here, still very real. Still hurting.
She walked. Where she was going, she did not know. Where she ended up, she did not care. The drum of the rain whispering in her ear was all she needed.
The trees parted and gave way to a grassy expanse. Then, she saw it, perched on a lonely cliff by the sea. The clock tower.
The looming monolith brought an old story to the top of her memory. Years ago, a town thrived on these grass-covered plains, always growing and bustling with people. A generation passed and happiness bloomed in the community as well as in the hearts of all who inhabited it.
Then, they vanished, for reasons unknown.
Buildings crumbled to dust and were whisked away in the autumn chill. The flower of happiness that bloomed and was once fruitful grew brown and sickly before crumpling to the ground, dead.
And thus, the clock tower by the sea was abandoned, all alone.
Much like herself.
The rain grew more intense as she crossed the field, the gentle pitter-patter morphing into knife-like sheets. The clock tower called to her, two lonely beings yearning for the company of the other. She answered.
As she approached, she could tell that the great face of the clock had long since stopped ticking, its hands frozen forever at 7:32. Yet while the poor creature was dead from the outside, a sliver of life still dwelled within it. She still heard its hypnotic rhythm in her head, echoing in her skull with every heartbeat.
Tick.
Tock.
Tick.
Tock.
The clock tower filled her eyes, shoving away any foul thoughts of the past. The poor, broken thing. The mossy, disintegrating stones that formed the base. The dangling shutters and boarded-up windows. The peeling paint. The sad, drooping face of the clock. The rotted wooden shingles. The squawking gulls that nested in the rafters. It was beautiful.
Lightening slashed through the dark of the night, silhouetting the clock tower’s elegant frame. She staggered to the front door and her hands scrambled for the doorknob. The rusted lock around the handle loosened and clattered to the ground.
Thunder roared in her ear.
The hinges moaned as the door swung open. She entered, compelled by a force that was beyond herself. The ticking that reverberated in her mind grew stronger still. It pulled her in, the clock tower. It wanted a friend. It wanted her.
She passed through the doorway and a strange sensation fell over her body. She no longer felt the rain that soaked her clothes, chilling the marrow in her bones, nor did she smell the clock tower’s pungent odor. She did not see the decaying wood that formed the structures around her.
But she did feel the desire.
She did feel the insatiable hunger that guided her feet up the stairs in slow, mechanical movements. There was something at the top of the clock tower, she knew, something that would wash away her sadness, drive away the past. Something that would complete her.
With every step she took, the stairs exhaled, their voices weak and raspy. Closer and closer she got to the top, the louder, the more powerful the ticking would become. And she was filled with a warmth, a delightful warmth, like being inside a womb.
There was a small room at the top of the tower above the face of the clock, and, inside of it, there was a small, glowing orb. The fragment of a long-forgotten soul. A smile overtook her face at the sight of it, feeling like the first in forever. She reached out to touch the light, but it flitted away shyly. It drifted across the cobweb-leaden room to where a single window stood, looking out on to the roiling sea. The curtains, battered by age and torn by time, swayed in the wind that passed through jagged panes of broken glass. The light flickered by the window, dancing and enticing, and she followed it once more, stopping inches from the window. Gusts of wet, salty air slapped against her face, yet she took no notice.
All she cared for, all she knew, was contained within that little fragment of a soul. It chased away the hate, the pain, the memories, and replaced them with a kind of bliss. Elation, almost. As they all say, misery loves company. The blood that rushed through her veins sang with ecstasy, ignoring the chill that crept through the air and crawled across her skin.
The light consumed her pitiful mind, and she forgot all that was around her. The howling wind. The writhing waves below. The wheezing groans of the clock tower. All forgotten. All lost. Even the figure in the distance, frantically running toward the clock tower, calling out her name.
She was dazed, entranced so much so, that she did not even hear the great clock tower’s betrayal.
Rotten floorboards cracked as the foundation began to cave in upon itself. The clock tower by the sea gave a final scream before it went to join its kin scattered in the dust. The figure in the distance cried out, but he was too late. She had made her choice.
Falling was a vague, distant sense.
The light was gone, snuffed out like a candle flame, and she was empty. Air rushing past her face dried the tears that welled in her eyes. Before the sea at last engulfed her and freed her from her lachrymose, she saw one last glimpse of him.
Soaked to the bone, hair plastered to his face, he came for her. His mouth formed the desperate words that never reached her ear.
She thought he had abandoned her.
She thought he had forgotten her.
Yet he came back.
For a moment, her heart was warmed. Then, nothing. Nothing but the pulse of the clock tower.
Tick.
Tock.
Tick.
Tock.
Tick.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." ~Abraham Lincoln

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:42 pm
XxUndefinedxX says...

This was fantastic. I could literally feel the tension in the story. I've noticed some fragments but other than that it was great. I hope this will help! :)
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Jet black diamond hair
People stare, I don't care
Want a taste! ?
Sure I'll share.
Gotta be big, I'll take you there!

Glammed Up Fabulous
Looking Hot, Dangerous!
So Vicious Delicious
I Got You F**king Like It's Fitness
-BOTDF
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm
TheButtonWorks says...

Oh, my.
My, my, my.

This is one of the best things I've read on this site, honest. Feel free to ignore that comment about 'fragments' above mine - they simply add to the suspense, the thrill that pulses through your story, much like the clock itself.

There was nothing wrong I noticed. We know why so-and-so happened, and who and when aren't so important as that gripping spell you've cast on this little work - what else made me grip the edge of my table as I scrolled down?

If this can be considered a disappointment at all, I'm fair morose about this being, well, a stand-alone fic. I so wanted to read more... but for a fiction as short as this? Ah-mazing. I'm sorry about not being much help where improvement's concerned...

Stellar description, fluid storytelling, binding narration. I love you for this.
Please write more. This on its own deserves a follow, and pardon me for the praise. When I'm happy with something I tell people why.
(One day I will reach your level, I know it. Accomplished reader, not-as-great writer.) :')
Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, "Goodbye!" and you were like "NO WAY." and then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you."
That was great.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:52 am
azntwinz2 says...

Woah.

Well, I just want to say that I really enjoyed this piece. You manage to pack a lot of emotion in such a short story!
Your style was very mysterious, and that's also another addition to this story. The way you tell it so lyrically, makes readers a little nervous (in a good way) and it also makes them try to grasp at the deeper meaning.
I think that the flow was very nice, and evenly paced. One thing I noticed was that the description of everything around her was left blank and the only thing we can actually picture in great detail is the clock tower itself. Now, before you think it's criticism, it's not. I actually liked the purpose behind it, because if we were the narrator, then we wouldn't notice anything but the clock tower. Also, it strives to emphasize the singular importance of the clock tower.

Some stuff I thought didn't really fit in or were errors.
There was a small room at the top of the tower above the face of the clock, and, inside of it, there was a small, glowing orb

This is me just being nitpicky, but you use small twice, so it interrupts the flow.
It drifted across the cobweb-leaden room to where a single window stood, looking out on to the roiling sea

Is that rolling? or roiling?

As they all say, misery loves company.

This doesn't match your tone or writing style (since it's more conversational than story-telling).

I really liked this story, but I have a couple of questions!
First, why 7:32?
Second, was the clock tower supposed to be a malignant force in this? I assumed that it took her down with it in its demise. On purpose...
And a suggestion, why don't you capitalize clock tower (Clock Tower) to give it an identity of its own?
Stellar Job!
Please make sure to check out my portfolio! Any comments are immensely desired!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 am
Hammerofbaal says...

Great job and kudos galore. I could have done with a little more description about the town around the Clock Tower. It would have made the town's disappearance that much more devastating, though that might be over stating the point a little.

I also agree that the Clock Tower should be capitalized. That simple change would give your piece more presence, give the Clock Tower a more malevolent feel.

I didn't like the misery loves company comment. It was said to be out of place earlier and I couldn't agree more. Maybe "Misery loves company, and she had found hers." Something along those lines. Connecting the fragment and the girl.

I hope this helps and keep up the great job!
I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:49 pm
GummyWorm says...

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to go back and edit out some of that nitpicky stuff, but to answer your questions, azntwinz2, I picked 7:32 because that just happened to be the time my clock read when I glanced over at it while writing :). And the clock tower is supposed to be a malevolent force. I guess, in a way, it knew it was dying but didn't want to die alone. Oh, and thanks for the capitalization suggestion, that's a good idea :)

Thanks all!

Love and chocolate syrup,

GummyWorm
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." ~Abraham Lincoln

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:49 pm
Octave says...

Hey there Gummy! So I'm Octave, and I'm here to review your work. I like to be as honest as possible, so to start off on the right foot, I'm going to tell you something you probably don't want to hear.

And she was filled with a warmth, a delightful warmth, like being inside a womb.

I stopped reading there, but before that, my eyes were already glazing over. I only chose to stop there because it was at that point that I began to scan the rest of the story wondering how long it would be before it ended, and that's not really a good sign. ^^"

So why did I stop there?

First of all, your beginning is very weak. Personification is okay, but when I realized you were just talking about rain I got a little confused and disappointed. oo At first, I thought 'she' referred to the night, and that you had a person representing the night. As the story went on, I realized I was wrong, but that only worsened my impression of the way you began your story.

It's really pretty trite, as evidenced by these lines.

Gone like dust in the wind. Gone like the light of day. Gone, gone, gone.

>.O I'm sorry I'm being so harsh, but I'm really just surprised because as I read on, the whole tick tocking thing, while not particularly original, told me you had a sense for rhythm and flow. So I was kind of caught off-guard then, wondering why you bothered with lines like those I quoted above when you could clearly write better.

She walked. Where she was going, she did not know. Where she ended up, she did not care. The drum of the rain whispering in her ear was all she needed.

That? That's really decent writing. Very good, compared to my first quote.

I think that your problem might not be your weak beginning as much as the fact that the quality of your writing veers from insane highs to unbelievable lows in the matter of mere sentences. oo Sometimes your quality of writing dips - no, crashes - but other times it gets so good I forget I'm upset with the piece. It's confusing me, and I'm not sure why your writing is this way. I think it might be the fact that you have a tendency to use clichés and words that aren't yours, which would explain why some parts of your writing are really weak.

Try to use your own voice, and avoid stock phrases. It'll greatly improve your writing. Just trust yourself, okay? :] Use your own words, and not those of others. Yours are good, I promise.

For now, let's not focus on the fact that your writing's erratic. There are other problems to worry about. ^^"

The biggest problem I see here is a lack of emotion. This story is supposed to be emotional, but it didn't quite capture my heart. Why? Writing aside, I think it's due to the fact that this lacks grounding. For you to be able to break my heart, you must have it in your possession first. But you didn't, not once throughout this piece did you manage to gain possession of it. I didn't know your character, and I didn't care about her. I didn't even sympathize with her. Sure, I was mildly curious, but that curiosity eventually evaporated because you gave me no reason to sympathize with her. Okay, she's sad. What else can you give us about her?

For a reader to sympathize with the main character, the main character must have some traits the reader will identify with or admire. This doesn't mean she should be an everyday Jane who'd slip right past our notice if we should meet her - no, you don't want her to be boring. This means she must have some admirable traits, but not too many so as to alienate the reader. Give her human flaws and virtues. Show me a human being, and I'll give her my compassion and sympathy.

You're going to have to establish some sort of connection between the reader and the character if you want the reader to care enough to read on. I felt impassive throughout the story, so maybe a little more characterization will help your cause. You want to take the reader's heart, and your character is your way of tricking the reader into handing her heart to you. When you have the reader sympathizing with the character, playing with the reader's emotions is only a matter of shoving the character into the right situations. =]

One last thing - conflict. It's not strong enough because there aren't any stakes. She doesn't care, so why should anyone else care? Conflict means your character wants something (it could be as trivial as a glass of water), but something is in her way. There is some conflict here in that she wants to get to the clock tower but there doesn't seem to be much in her way. The weather's certainly not strong enough to deter her, I think. The conflict is always stronger when the two sides are on equal ground - when both stand an equal chance of winning, that is. Plus, you'll really want your character to care, otherwise, she wouldn't be fighting to achieve whatever it is she needs to achieve. ^^"

So because I wasn't able to finish this piece, I'm not able to give as comprehensive a review as I -think- I normally give. I suggest you take a close look at this piece and segregate the bad writing from the good. Like I said - this piece is strange and vaguely annoying in that it's incredibly wobbly, but it shows promise. Rewrite, and if you want, I could look at the piece again.

Just drop me a PM if you ever need anything or have questions about this review! I'm sorry I couldn't finish the piece. x.x

Sincerely,

Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight