z

Young Writers Society

The Black Path

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:34 pm
AddictionToFiction says...

**I need help! I'm auditioning for a writing school I really want to enter, and I have to make a portfolio, and I plan to put this in it. So help me make it as good as it can be before noon on Wednesday (2-10)!!**
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Kiran, wake up!” whispered an urgent voice. “They are nearly here! You must flee before your life is ended!”

“But mama, I don't wanna!” said Kiran, tears mingling with her white hair.

“Quickly, Kiran! What they cannot find will be given to you!” said Kiran's mother.

“Mama!” Kiran said, shooting up from the dirt. Matted hair covered her left eye as she searched frantically for Kass. “Kass!” she called, unable to find him.

A hand suddenly went over her mouth and she grabbed at it, trying to rip it off. “Shh!” scolded Kass. “We can't let them hear us!”

Her eyes gave a sarcastic glare ahead of her as she removed his hand from her mouth, moving her glare to him. “Don't do that again,” she said, inflecting on each word like a separate sentence.

Kass rolled his eyes and scooted up next to her. “What's wrong?”

“I had another dream. It was mama again,” Kiran said, leaning against Kass as she explained the rest.

He nodded, just like he always did when Kiran told him about her dreams. Every time she told him, she'd try to convince him it was only memories of her life before her amnesia, beginning to come back. However, Kass constantly told her that wasn't it. He said she either had visions, or their mother was trying to talk to them.

Kiran flexed her fingers, nervous about the day ahead. For seven days, they had been traveling across all of what was once known as North America, now the capital of the Heartless world.

“We need to go. Now,” he said, grabbing her elbow and pulling her up with him. Kass spread his wings―the left one black, the other white―and vaulted into the sky.

Kiran followed his lead and soon was up next to him, flying along quickly above the tops of darkened trees. “What did you hear?” she asked once she was close enough not to have to shout.

“Seven or so Heartless, and they’re coming this way,” said Kass.

Kiran nodded, veering away from him. Tall black trees hid most of the ground from their view as they flew above the world of Dark Ones and Heartless. As the scenery passed rapidly by, Kiran spotted small segments of scorched ground and pale ghosts, shimmering and flickering in the light. She watched the red ball of flame, once the yellow orb of holy fire known as the sun, fly gradually into the sky.

Kass swooped down lower, avoiding a group of bat-winged Dark Ones who had flown over their heads without noticing them. Kiran followed him. Kass swooped below the branches of the trees, causing Kiran to follow him again, so as not to lose sight of him.

As the tree-trunks became too thick for Kiran to wrap her arms all the way around, she couldn't see Kass anymore. She knew better than to call out to him, because they would be found quickly by either Dark Ones or Heartless.

Kiran flew faster, hoping to catch a sight of her brother. A flicker of white dashing quickly behind a tree caught her eye and she darted toward it, veering away just in time to avoid a thick tree branch.

Suddenly something grabbed her wrist, and a second later her mouth. Kiran rolled her eyes, recognizing Kass' style.

However, her heart nearly beat out of her chest as one of the largest Dark Ones, known as Reapers, flew past. Twin long swords were strapped in an X pattern across his bare back. Twenty foot long wings jetted out from his massive shoulders. Hands looking like they could crush stones were balled together tightly as he passed by their silent hiding place.

Kiran knew that Reapers could go for up to three days with no food, water or rest and had some of the best endurance of any of the Dark Ones. As he flew out of their sight, Kass let go of her and she panted slightly for air because of holding her breath for almost a minute.

“Kass, we have two days to reach the Gateways,” she said, still short on breath.

“Then we have to hurry,” he replied, his fingers balling into fists. Kass straightened a little, as if the new loss of time proved he had to save his sister. “Come on,” he said softly, taking her hand and tugging her along with him into the sky.

Thy sky began to turn a grayish-red, sometimes blotted out with black smudges of clouds. An hour slowly passed before Kass finally stopped.

“When do you think we'll get there?” asked Kiran, her shoulders slumping from exhaustion and boredom.

“We have to get there by the end of tomorrow, or we don't have a choice,” said Kass stiffly.

Kiran's shoulders tensed from fear and anxiety. “What happens if we don't make it?” she asked. She had been avoiding this question for their entire journey, afraid that the possible outcome would force fear into her heart and make her plummet to the ground like a stone.

“We have no choice,” said Kass.

“You mean, the Gateways won't be there anymore?”

Kass nodded.

“So, what will happen to us then?” Kiran was still confused about the end result of their efforts, but she concluded she wasn't going to have worked so hard to end up with nothing.
“Let's hope we never have to find out,” said Kass softly.

Kiran's head was spinning with too many questions and not enough answers. “Are you sure you know exactly where the Gateways are?”

“Yes. Kiran, there's something I need to tell you,” said Kass under his breath.

“What?” she asked, confusion displayed across her face.

“There's a Tracking Reaper. He's been following us for a few days, leaving every so often,” said Kass.

“Why didn't you tell me sooner,” she asked, her voice holding accusation and sadness.

What he said next surprised her even more. “I wasn't sure until just recently that it really was a Tracking Reaper, and that he was tracking us.”

“But if you'd have told me earlier, maybe I could have been able to turn him off our trail,” accused Kiran, her temper flaring.

Kass had no reply; he knew she was right. He stared down at his toes. Fighting an internal battle, he looked up at her. “I'm sorry, Kiran,” he said.

“Sometimes sorry doesn't cut it,” said Kiran. She lost her temper and flew straight down, trying to get away from Kass. She didn't want to feel that he'd kept that secret from her, and she didn't want the guilt she felt to creep up and take over her senses. Maybe she'd overreacted, but she was still mad that Kass hadn't told her sooner, even if he wasn't sure of what it was.

“Even if he hasn't told me, I still have to think of a way to lose the tracker,” mumbled Kiran. The trees swarmed around her as she flew away from Kass and, hopefully, away from the Tracker.

“Why did I have to get myself into this?” muttered Kass as he swooped down to find Kiran. “Regardless, I have to find Kiran and shake the Tracker before he beats us to the Gateways,” said Kass firmly.

Kiran raced down through the trees, trying to work off some of her anger and still get to the Gateways before sunset of the next day. Shaking the Tracker could be a problem, she realized. As short-tempered as she was, Kiran finally decided that even though he'd lied to her, it wasn't the time to get mad at him. Later, she thought.

Kiran spread her wings and pulled to a stop, the sudden halt sending her snow-white hair flying ahead of her. Still, thoughts of the Tracker plagued her as she scanned the trees for any signs of Kass. A minute passed, but still no sign of Kass.

A sudden sound made her catch her breath. Kiran turned slowly, her nerves on end, and scanned the underlying area of scorched bushes. Something flashed in the corner of her eye. Her breathing became ragged and low. Afraid to call out, “Who’s there?” Kiran stood glued to the spot.

“The Tracker,” she whispered, suddenly afraid.

The faintest sound seemed magnified as she turned around, trying to find where it was coming from. Her wings didn’t respond; none of her body did. “Kass, where are you?” she said, but it came out as no more than a faint whisper. When her body did respond, she found herself backed against a tree. Eyes holding a wild, savage look, she surveyed the area for any sign of Kass or the tracker.

The bushes were a good twenty yards away from where Kiran stood, frozen to the ground. All safety and security vanished when the bushes rustled again, and something told her it wasn’t Kass.

The bushes rustled once again, and then all was still and silent. Kiran's heart was escalated as it pounded heavily against her rib cage. If it was Kass, he wouldn't be hiding from her.

What if whatever it was had left? Was it possible to have just been a small animal which had managed to live without the Heartless catching it? Then there was the other possibility that it was either the Tracking Reaper or a Dark One. It made sense that it wasn't a Heartless, because Heartless are mere ghosts tormented for eternity by Dark Ones and Reapers and other gruesome ghouls.

Whatever it is, I wish it would just come out already, thought Kiran, her breathing slowly going back to a more normal rate. She decided she wasn't afraid, which gave her a more satisfied, secured feeling.

Kass landed softly in a cluster of trees and looked around carefully for Kiran, trying to be sure no one could see him. A flash of black slashed across his vision, although, because it was gone faster than it came, it made him not sure if it had even been there, or if he was just hopeful.

As he peered around a tree, he caught sight of her and a small smile sneaked up on his face. However, that smile vanished reluctantly when he saw her face. In her eyes were so many jumbled emotions he couldn't even manage to sort out one. Her lips were held tightly together and she was pressed up against a tree for all she was worth.

What's she so afraid of? Kass wondered. He then heard a very faint rustling sound, about as loud as two leaves brushing against each other, and then everything was silent again. He was here. Kass squinted, searching for the elusive Tracker.

When Kass was sure the Tracker wasn't there, he ran up to Kiran and shook her shoulders. For a frightening moment, her gaze was blank and she didn't even seem to register what was happening.

“Kiran?” he whispered, staring directly into her icy blue eyes.

Kiran shook her head as if waking up from a trance and stared at him for a whole minute, just trying to get something to register. “Kass,” she said.

“What?” he asked, searching her eyes.

“Nothing,” she said shaking her head. “Can we get going?” she asked, once again on edge.

Kass nodded and removed his hands from her shoulders.

“How much time have we lost?” she asked.

“I don't know. I think we'd better go and find out,” said Kass. He looked back at Kiran. She already had her wings spread fully out, and was ready to jet into the sky and escape the blackened forest.

Kass spread his wings and pulled up into the sky with Kiran right behind him. When he saw the sun, he shuddered. How had they managed to lose almost an entire day? Kass looked at Kiran who was looking directly back at him with solemn eyes. “We can't stop now,” he said.

Side by side, Kass and Kiran flew at a maintainable pace across thousands of trees. While they flew, Kiran looked over at Kass and said, “How much farther?”

“I'm not sure anymore,” he confessed. He looked utterly crestfallen when he spoke those words.

Kiran nodded, her face holding a painfully emotionless facade. Struggling to keep herself together, she rubbed furiously at her eyes for a second, then blinked and pulled ahead. “Then we had better hurry,” said Kiran.

That night Kass fluttered gently down behind Kiran and they both landed in a dense forest area. Kiran collapsed to her knees, unable to move her limbs. Without her arms able to catch her, she fell face first onto the hard dirt. Her panting was noticeable.

“Maybe we should rest for tonight,” suggested Kass.

“No,” said Kiran between pants. “I can still walk. We have to make it before sunset tomorrow. We can't stop now.” Kiran struggled to pick herself up, but managed only to get to her knees.

Kass sat back on his knees, panting as well, and watched her try to get up, knowing she wouldn't be able to do it. “Kiran, it's okay. Just get some rest,” Kass said.

“No. We can't stop,” insisted Kiran, struggling to stand. She was able to get to her feet, but fell back against a tree and slumped down from exhaustion. “We can't... go... to sleep,” she said while panting hard.

“Kiran,” said Kass. She looked up into his deep brown eyes shaded by his black hair. “It's okay. Just rest,” he said. “I'll wake you up if we need to go,” he promised.

Kiran wasn't able to object, for as soon as her eyes were closed, she was out cold.

Kass watched Kiran stir slightly in her sleep while trying to keep himself awake. He couldn't let himself fall asleep or they might both just sleep through the next day. Slowing his breathing and closing his eyes, he opened his ears to everything within a mile radius.

An hour passed and he heard nothing. Not a whispering crackle of a Heartless ghost; not the slashing metal of a Dark One torturing another victim; not the sound flapping wings from a Reaper. He heard none of it.

Another hour passed and slowly the sounds began to come back. Then a sound hit him like a massive wave, pulling him under into a suffocating darkness. It was the sound of several Reapers' wings, three Dark Ones brandishing swords and a cackling Heartless leading them all.

Kass' eyes flew open and he forced himself upright. His limbs were stiff and sore, but he managed to crawl over to Kiran, choking on his fear, and shook her awake. “Kiran! Kiran!” he whispered.

“What?” she asked, her tone more agitated than she had thought she felt. Kass brushed off her question and pulled her to her feet.

“We have to get going. Fast,” urged Kass.

Kiran stretched her wings and her arms and just as her arms fell to her side, she took off with a powerful burst of wind from her wings. She could have laughed, and she knew exactly why. Just two hours of sleep, but she felt energized and happier than she had in a very long time.

While she slept she felt like her mother was talking to her, not only warning and encouraging her, but telling her that they were almost there. The Gateways were almost within their grasp if they knew which way to go. Then it hit her like a brick: which was it?

Kass soared up behind her, releasing his cramped wings by stretching them out to their fullest. “What put you in such a great mood?” he asked when he was soaring along next to her.

“We're almost there,” she said, her eyes training on the black night ahead of them.

“Will we get there before sunset?” he asked wryly.

“We should.”

Kass let a small smile creep up to his lips. For once in an extremely long time, he felt hope and renewal. “That's the best news I've heard in a long time,” he said quietly, not knowing Kiran could hear him.

Kiran grinned again, forgetting the possibility they may get lost. Her pent-up energy was soon spent, however, and she once again relied only on her determination in order to keep going.

Kass trained his ears on the surrounding area and head only the common shrieks from the Heartless and the malice-filled laughs from the Dark Ones as they tortured fallen souls. Then he heard something else. Something unlike anything he'd ever heard before. It sounded hollow, deep and evil. A sense of foreboding fell on him and he forced himself to go farther and faster, keeping Kiran with him.

The sun was rising and heat began to rain down on the entire valley. It didn't feel at all refreshing after the hours of flying in the hot darkness lit by only the blood-red moon. Kass subconsciously began counting the hours as they slowly ticked by.

Kiran felt about ready to fall out of the sky, but she forced herself to be propelled forward by her will to reach the Gateways before sunset. She knew they had a long way left to go, but she also knew they had to stop soon and walk before they both passed out.

“Kass, we have to stop!” she said, her breathing coming out in pants.

Kass nodded and veered off to the ground, with Kiran struggling to keep control of her wings. She managed a smooth landing on her feet and ended with a few running steps before slowing her pace to a walk. Kass came up beside her, keeping pace with her. “Kiran, where do you suppose we are?” he asked looking around.

“I don't know. But, I do know that we're going in the right direction,” she added.

They walked along in silence for a while. Kass often looked up toward the sky, still counting down the hours in his head. Eight hours left until the Gateways vanished, and Kass wondered if that would be enough.

When the sun was directly over their heads, Kiran said she was ready to fly again, so they took back to the air. Kass didn't like the heat, but he knew that they would save time if they flew. They could be there in five to seven hours if they flew; if they walked it could possibly take them all eight hours.

Kass began to count down the minutes as well as the hours. He began feeling more fatigued because of the sun. He instructed Kiran to fly lower and they began to fly right by the treetops. For just a second, Kass closed his eyes and let his mind take over. When he reopened his eyes, he caught a glimpse of something on the horizon.

“Kiran, look!” he said pointing towards the speck of twinkling light. An overpowering feeling of hope began to well up within him.

“The Gateways,” said Kiran, a weary smile on her face. “We've finally made it!”

Not yet we haven't, thought Kass grimly. They both put on an extra burst of speed as they struggled towards their destination. Kass thought that if it was hard for him, how much harder then would it have been for Kiran?

As the small dot on the horizon glittered and shimmered, Kiran began to feel everything arise in her heart that had been dormant for so long. She might actually get to see her mom and dad again. A saddening feeling sank in the pit of her stomach because, in truth, she knew they would never get to be a family again. Her father was a demon, and her mother was an angel.

Kiran was never sure how she and Kass were born and given a choice, or how their mom had been able to stay an angel after falling in love with a demon. What she was sure of, however, was that she and Kass might choose different paths. Hers was clear to her, but what would Kass choose?

There were two pathways and two Gateways, but what Kass might choose weighed down on her more and more as she thought about it.

“What's wrong, Kiran?” asked Kass, jarring her out of her thoughts.

“I don't want to talk about it right now,” Kiran said, letting her head drop a little and her gaze fall to the ground.

Kass shrugged and focused on flying. He wasn't going to let himself think about any choices until he reached the Gateways. Try as he might though, his mind continued to wander to his father. He'd met his mother before, but he'd never seen his father. Then his thoughts shifted to his sister. Kiran may never understand him, but she'd always love him. Yes, she had her flaws and could sometimes be short tempered, but on the whole she was amazing.

Mile after desolate mile, Kiran led Kass further and further to the Western Ends, home of the Gateways. “Kiran,” said Kass, glancing up at her.

“Yeah?” she asked, turning to face him.

“It’s nothing,” said Kass, shaking his head and ridding himself of the thought. Kiran looked at him confused, but turned her attention back to the still vast spread of land between them and the Gateways. “Maybe we should stop. Just for a minute. We need to rest,” said Kass staring at the Western Ends.

“We can't stop,” said Kiran, a look of earnest need in her eyes.

“I just think it would be a good idea,” said Kass, still staring ahead.

“It might be a good idea, but we're so close! How can we give up when the victory is within our reach?” said Kiran.

“Because you look about ready to pass out!” exclaimed Kass.

Kiran recoiled at his sharp tone. Instead of retreating though, she set her jaw and forced herself to go faster. She just needed a few minutes to cool down... she hoped.

Six hours twenty-three minutes left... thought Kass worriedly. And I've just made Kiran really mad.

Kiran didn't talk to Kass for over an hour, and slowly the Gateways began to become more than little smudges. Kass was down to five hours and fourteen minutes left before he finally said, “Kiran, we're running out of time.”

“I know. But we can't stop. In another hour or two, we should be really close! Please, we can't stop now,” begged Kiran.

Kass set his jaw and nodded. As much as he knew he had to get her to stop, maybe, just maybe, they could make it before she passed out. No matter what, he decided, he would make sure she got the chance to choose her life for once.

However, as another hour ticked by slowly, Kass began to doubt his ability to protect his sister. The Gateways were now visible; but that meant the end might be coming.

Kiran glanced nervously over at Kass. His face displayed a battle being fought on the inside. She didn't want her worst fear to become real... that he would take the black path.

The Gateways were close, and Kiran felt dread, excitement and anxiousness consume her as she stared at the gem-like Gateways. Granted, they were still a ways off, but she felt like she could almost touch them. Anticipation welled up to an overflowing mine-field of emotions as the Gateways came rapidly closer.

Finally, Kiran and Kass landed. They were only about a hundred yards from the massive arched gates. Kass walked forward, but Kiran stood rooted to the ground. The two people she had wanted to see most in the world stood ahead. She also knew that choosing a side meant choosing a parent... something she wasn't sure if she was ready to do.

Kass noticed her hesitation and turned around. He walked over to her, a serious, confident, slightly unnerving look on his face. Taking her hand in his, he pulled her gently along up to the Gateways.

The two massive and intimidating gates spanned broadly before them. One was ivory, the other was ebony. However, Kiran barely noticed the Gateways. Instead, she only noticed the people standing in front of them.

To her left, standing in front of the black gate, stood a tall man with a chiseled face and strong, proud features. Two black wings sprouted proudly from his back and he stood with a small, sad smile on his face. His dark hair fell into his eyes, as he stood, waiting for what he seemed to think would never come. He had to be her father, Zak.

To Kiran’s right, her mother, Karia, stood in front of the white gate. Karia had the most elegant white wings flowing from her back. She wore a white skirt, plain yet beautiful, and an elegant silvery-white blouse. A large white jacket fell from her shoulders leaving her light brown locks flying gently in the breeze.

Kiran and Kass stood side by side. Without realizing it, Kiran entwined her fingers with Kass'. Her face was pale, but she had a look of excitement, fear and wonder on her face.

“Welcome my children,” said Karia.

Kass smiled slightly, and Kiran broke out into a wide grin. Her mother's voice was so soft and melodic, it sounded like a lullaby. Kiran looked up at Kass, suddenly feeling small. “Kass?” she whispered, trying not to choke on her words.

“What?” he asked softly, glancing down at her—she was a few inches shorter than he was.

“You won't... I mean... I can't go without you,” she managed.

“You might have to, but you'll never be alone,” he promised.

“You know your choices, my children. Now, step forward and claim your eternity before all is lost,” said Zak in his bass voice.

Kiran turned to face him, a pained look in her eyes. Her hand slid out of Kass' as she crossed in front of him and over to the white gate and her mother. Karia greeted her daughter with a warm hug, and Kiran hugged back, relief written across her face.

Kass felt three pairs of eyes trained on him. He had already made his choice, but it pained him so badly. He had hoped he and Kiran could have been together for eternity, but he knew, even though he was said to have a choice, that his destiny was already chosen. He looked over to Kiran, only for a brief second. When he saw her, he saw that she looked so refreshed and happy and flawless.

Without saying a word, he left the spot and walked across the pathway towards his father, and the black gate.

Kiran felt her heart drop into her toes as she stared at him. He took those steps like it was a heavy burden weighing down on him. She acted on impulse. “Kass! No, you don't have to do that! Please! I can't lose you too!” she screamed.

Kass paused and looked at her, his face drowning in too many tangled emotions. “I wish it were true,” he said numbly. He stood by his father, his face looking upset but at the same time, relieved.

Kiran stared at him. Her eyes welled up with tears. Kass had chosen. He had chosen to take the black path. He had chosen to leave her behind forever. He had chosen to give himself over to the evil ruler who greedily stole all the souls he could. Kass had chosen to become a Dark One, to follow in his father's footsteps.

Karia wrapped Kiran in a hug as she looked at Kass with knowing, sad eyes. “You have chosen, my son.”
I gave up telling people I hear voices. So now I talk to the voices instead.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 pm
EDay says...

Hey there,
Alrighty, this was hard to read all the way through because how long it was. I read it though because, trust me I know how it is when you really want help and like no one replies. I really liked the story line, and almost sounds like an after evil takes over the world type of thing. I liked your creativity and actually reading this, reminded me so much of what me and my friend are working on, just our's is like before evil takes over. I think this will make an awesome addition to you audition portfolio, there was just one sentence I found really awkward with the flow the story.
Thy sky began to turn a grayish-red, sometimes blotted out with black smudges of clouds. An hour slowly passed before Kass finally stopped.

Maybe you meant The ? If you didn't I think it should be that, because Thy doesn't go with your modernistic dialect.
Hey if this wasn't all you wanted feel free to email me and I will check often to help you...can't wait.
Erin
liquid sunshine isnt meant to be kept in a jar, but printed onto pages

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:43 am
skutter11 says...

What an emotional rollercoaster! I really felt like bursting into tears at the end! Good job! :cry:
"Madness rides the Star wind"

HP Lovecraft. Ironic, no?

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:13 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

Kiran felt her heart drop into her toes as she stared at him- this sounded very....wrong for some reason. I like the imagery, just enough for me. And well good story. But I hope that the next time you choose to post something under short story, I repeat- SHORT story, be sure it's short, k? Like between...1000- 2500 words, beyond that break it down to parts k? O and I think sometimes your grammar was a little off, hope you fix that but it was a nice piece of work, done with care and love so do put it where you wnted to.
And off topic now, are you Japanese? I like the names and your cute avatar anime:) Best of luck, man.:)
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:22 am
AddictionToFiction says...

Maimoona: No, I'm not Japanese, but I absolutely adore Japan. I guess I always have, because I wrote this before I completely fell in love with Japan. And I've never been very good with short :P But I have started to break things down into more parts, rather than just a big chunk like this one. Thanks for the feedback!
I gave up telling people I hear voices. So now I talk to the voices instead.

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday