z

Young Writers Society

Moral Zero

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:41 pm
SetSytes says...

Firstly, this is 18+. Seriously. It's not for the faint-hearted or easily offended, either. VERY mature themes, very dark, candid sexuality, violence, bad language, and some really quite nasty stuff. It mixes genre themes of dystopian, southern gothic, cyberpunk, and horror. To call it gritty would be an understatement.

My main influence is Cormac McCarthy, with a dashing of Marquis de Sade, if that helps.

Okay, now that I've scared away pretty much everyone... Well, I've been submitting this work in sections to YWS, but I think it's come across more that I'm writing it as I go and seeking advice, rather than I've already long finished it all and wanting, you know, *proper* feedback on how much people did/didn't enjoy it. I'll still submit in bits to YWS, but I'm doing this too.

I'm also unsure as of now whether this site is right for me, given that I'm 25 and suddenly everyone seems to be a lot younger. But hell, I'll go for it anyway. :P

It is very important, before initial complaints, to note that I don't write with speech marks, and dialogue with one character in particular is deliberately lacking in apostrophes where you might expect them (such as goin instead of goin'). This is all a stylistic choice, in the vein of Cormac McCarthy and other contemporary authors. Some really hate this, some love it, but at the end of the day I felt very strongly that this style best suited the work - truly natural dialogue, stark, short and rough speech, speech that isn't cluttered with little marks, and southern drawls, inner-voices and descriptions and dialogues melding into one another.

That said, it should not be confusing, certainly not as much as Cormac himself. I hope you do not think it is. It may take some getting used to, however. Just something to bear in mind before you read it and think 'hey, this guy doesn't even know the rules of punctuation!"

Okay, that said, here's the blurb:

“The voyeur: Knowledge is lust.
The pervert: The fantasy is everything.
The sadist: The answer to all things lies in death.

Mr White. Kidd Red. Johnny Black. Three deviants in a violent, sickly sexual dystopia where completely opposing laws and moral codes are just a short walk away. Guided by a corrupt sense of moral subjectivism, they form an uneasy friendship. Each tormented by his own existence. But the greatest danger is making sure they don't lose track of what is real...

Enter the city of Rule and the world of the moral zeroes.”

I hope you like it.
Attachments
Moral Zero doc format.doc
(c) Set Sytes
(773.5 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

21 Reviews

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:44 pm
SetSytes says...

Oh, and it's 80,000 words.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 am
crossroads says...

I shall give this a shot, it sounds like something I might grow very fond of.

At the moment I'm troubled by exams, though, so you might need to wait for a while, but I'll get to it ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

21 Reviews

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 pm
SetSytes says...

Awesome, I hope you like! :)

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee