z

Young Writers Society

Vanguard's Veil (Part One)

Reviews: 2
Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:07 am
MrAlwins says...

Hello all, I am brand-spankin'-new to this awesome site so I don't know much of what to do. This is a story of mine that I have been working on in blotches for ~5 years. It has been more of a hobby than a gridiron project, so it has undergone multiple revisions, plot adjustments, and other hiccups along the way. Ultimately, this is where I find myself today.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, so help me out if I look like a goon.

Title: Vanguard's Veil
Genre: Science Fiction
Synopsis: Mitch Kroy was ready for his final season as the starting running back at Atwood High in Santa Clara, California. He was serious about his sport with a hard-nosed determination to capture a college scholarship by the end of the year. He was fit and ready for action, ready for anything. Or so he thought. The night of his eighteenth birthday came as the others did. The only thing different this time was where he woke up the next morning. Though stubborn at first, it doesn't take Mitch very long to realize his life will be forever different.

The story thus far is approx. 63,000 words. Based on Nate's guidelines, I would give the piece a 12+ rating. Ay, there are a few naughty words here and there, but nothing outlandish. I ended on a particular note that could pass for the end of a first novel, is glaring me in the eyes and asking sternly for a part two. That's why I put in (Part One) in the title.

I truly appreciate any reviews, and I can explain things if necessary. Warning: I attempted to make the dialogue as accurate to our generation as I saw fit. While it may be silly at times, I need to know if it's overwhelming. Conversely, I like using big terms in the rest of the text to make it sound sophisticated. I thought it would be a nice contrast. Who knows, maybe I am a goon. Thanks guys and gals. You rock.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Fear the tree.

Reviews: 2
Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 am
MrAlwins says...

VV for YWS.doc
I posted this from my mac, comment if any issues arise.
(530.5 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

WHOOPS!

I warned you, I'm a newborn.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Fear the tree.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:55 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Hmmm, nearly one month since you posted this? ...Has anyone reviewed it yet? (I can't tell) I am new at novel reviewing on here so, don't worry, I won't make you feel bad. ;)

I more than happily volunteer, if you still need someone. However, your link doesn't work. Can you try posting it again? You may have to post it as a gdoc.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 am
crossroads says...

Elo, you mean nearly two months ^^

Regardless of that, I would give it a look as well (though I'm pretty busy at the moment and can't promise much), the only issue is that the link isn't working properly for me either :/
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm
Cspr says...

Could take a look. I have trouble sticking with long projects, but I could dabble here and there and at least give you some basic tips. :)
My SPD senses are tingling.

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind