z

Young Writers Society

Advanced Critiques Questions

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 am
Tassen Spellbinder says...

So, I'm seriously thinking about trying to get some of my work published some day. If I dump a novel on here, could that conceivably have copyright issues later?
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:11 am
Nate says...

Tassen Spellbinder wrote:So, I'm seriously thinking about trying to get some of my work published some day. If I dump a novel on here, could that conceivably have copyright issues later?

Check out http://www.writinggooder.com where I just covered this.

I think what you mean is not copyright but publication rights. But since you're in the USA, you don't need to worry since something is only considered published under American law once it changes hands.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:33 am
Tassen Spellbinder says...

First, I had no idea that that had just been put up on writegooder. Second, that post is so incredibly useful! Thanks a million!
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. - George Orwell, 1984

Where in the world is Enoch Root?

425 Reviews

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:21 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Tassen Spellbinder wrote:First, I had no idea that that had just been put up on writegooder. Second, that post is so incredibly useful! Thanks a million!

Haha, I didn't think you did. I just find it funny that I just wrote up about it and so had an instant resource ready for you!

Glad to hear you found it useful.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 pm
ultraviolet says...

I know this is probably a stupid question, but are there any preferred ways to critique on here? A certain format? Like, on chapter-by-chapter novels, people usually nitpick, then go into characters/grammar/description et cetera, then give an overall. I was just wondering what people expect of your reviews on here.

loveness, ultraviolet <3
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:04 pm
Rydia says...

It's very much open to your own style to be honest. I tend to go for the nit-pick, a quick sum up at the end of each chapter and then overall thoughts and advice at the end of the novel, but whatever you feel comfortable with.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Tenyo says...

*Raises Hand*

So, now that we've discovered how awesome WriterFeedPad is, I was wonderinf if instead of uploading a document, one could post a link to a WFP instead. It would mean not having to download, and avoiding compatability issues with different software. It also means all the suggestions will be on the same document so reviewers won't end up repeating the same things.

Aye or nay?
We were born to be amazing.

425 Reviews

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:29 pm
Nate says...

Tenyo ->> That sounds like a great idea to me.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 pm
Rydia says...

Oooh I like! Sounds like a plan to me :)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:24 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

So, I have a novel that I'm working on and it's not done yet. However, The first half of it is over 20,000 words. Could I post the first half here? Or do I have to wait until it's completely done?
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 pm
Snoink says...

You can post the first half here!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm
WritersUnleashed says...

Just saying, to tori, if the first HALF is only 20,000 words (Making 40,000 its finished count) , it is only a novella. Im pretty sure the lowest it is considered a novel is around 60,000 words.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 am
ToritheMonster says...

Really? I thought it was 45000. Huh.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 am
View Likes
pettybage says...

ToritheMonster wrote:Really? I thought it was 45000. Huh.

I think a YA 'novel' can be even around 30K. Half of Fleming's Bond books are around 50K and are certainly novels, not novellas. But, of course, what counts is not what is a novel in theory, but what is a novel in the minds of the publishers to whom you try to sell. Most publishers who accept unagented submissions mention 70K and 80K as the minimum wordcount for them, although a few smaller houses accept 60K and 50K. Some of the bigger ones like Baen accept from 100K onwards.

But that's the speculative fiction people, I don't know about the lit-lit people.

...But I very much believe that once the 60K novel has lain for a while and then you have a go at it with a fresh eye, the editing will soon turn into expansion of certain sections and inclusion of various descriptions, and before you know it the 60K had gone to 70K and 80K in the blink of a monitor.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:13 am
Idraax says...

Two quick questions.

1. Is this only for original novels/novellas?

2. If we have done a critique on a work that has since been taken off/deleted, does it still count?
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson