z

Young Writers Society

Advanced Critiques Questions

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:39 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Ask questions here concerning the Advanced Critiques forum.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:19 pm
View Likes
AWritersFantasy says...

I have the first question!

...I was making a post so that I could upload the first chapter to my story in this section, and I realized I needed to make sure that the word count was more than 5,000 words. The thing is that the first chapter is 3,612 words...and the second chapter is 4,169 words. So my question is, does each document have to be more than 5,000 words, or does the story I'm uploading have to be more than 5,000 words? My third chapter won't be ready for a while, and I don't even know whether or not it'll be more than 5,000 words, so....o.O

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:54 am
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

*waves hand* Bird has a question! I understand about not being able to award more than 50 points per post, and I think "tipping" the critter with some of the author's points is a good idea, but (and this may just be me) I always look at a writer's stars before their points, if I see their points at all. The stars tell me how much actually editing and writing they've done, and how seriously I should take either thier story or their comments on my story. So, here's my question: can someone who edits on Advanced Critiques recieve more than one "review point," if you will; that is--more than one tally mark in the "Reviews" slot? It just seems to me that someone who's sat down and really poured through a 5,000+ word story deserves a little more credit for that effort than he/she does for offering comments on, say, a poem. Not to say that poems are bad or somehow "less"!!! Arg, you know what I mean, shutting up now.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:45 pm
View Likes
crewgurl93 says...

Okay, here's my issue. I've written a story that, in total (All 5 parts included) is over 8,000 words. The thing is, I've already posted parts 1-3 seperatly. Can I just post the whole thing in this section? Or would that be breaking some rule that I'm not currently aware of?

I'd really like to know. Just PM me whenever.

-Crewgurl93
Goth-Hippie?!

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:04 pm
View Likes
greenjay says...

I was thinking about doing something with this guy where we'd both post our stories, and then we'd critique each other's stories. So here's the dumb question. If someone else just randomly desides to critique my story (as in I didn't ask them) do I have to critique one of their's? (I might do so just to be nice, but only if I have time)

-GJ
the greenjay strikes again...

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:50 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

greenjay wrote:I was thinking about doing something with this guy where we'd both post our stories, and then we'd critique each other's stories. So here's the dumb question. If someone else just randomly desides to critique my story (as in I didn't ask them) do I have to critique one of their's? (I might do so just to be nice, but only if I have time)

-GJ

Morally, you should. But is it required? No. If it's just the two of you, then why not just use e-mail?

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 am
View Likes
Kinsley says...

Okay, I have a really long story here and I was wondering if I could post it or if it would be too long. You said AT LEAST 5000 words so that means it could be more right? Because its over 38,000 words. So, you know, if anyone would want to take the time...

Bu I understand if you don't, but still the question remains, can I post it?
To M.J.,

I hope you can forgive me,
Though I'll never forgive myself.
Until again, my friend

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:49 am
Aet Lindling says...

Yeah, I'm not a mod, but I'll take this one anyway, because I'm positive I'm right. :P Anything is allowed. Well, technically. If you've written something with one million words or over that's getting a bit carried away, but...
dun worry
it's all gun be k

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:14 am
View Likes
Kinsley says...

Kk, thanks. A million words it is..
To M.J.,

I hope you can forgive me,
Though I'll never forgive myself.
Until again, my friend

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:29 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

You can. Just be aware that a lot of people might not read it, just because of the length. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:45 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Maybe this was mentioned somewhere else and I am a silly person but we do not get review points for reviewing in AC?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:43 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

You get points for typing in the box-whatsit, but technically the author should donate some points to you. I'm just a lazy bum, but I'll do that for you now.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 am
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

=P The question has been asked, but I didn't see the answer. If you are posting your story is parts (chapters), does each one need to be 5,000 words, or are we talking about the whole story being 5,000 words minimum?
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:01 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

I don't think they're going to kill you for leaving out a thousand words or so. To my understanding, word count isn't even patrolled that heavily. So, just to make it legal, have your first post five thousand words at least and do whatever you want for consecutive chapters. Nate's not a word Nazi, so don't sweat it.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:06 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

The rules just means that your complete story (not the parts you post it in) needs to be more than 5k.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson