z

Young Writers Society

Advanced Critiques Questions

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 pm
View Likes
Juniper says...

If you want a review on a large bulk of your work, yes. If not, post it as you would any other piece in the Non-fiction forum.

;)

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:41 am
View Likes
DakotaK says...

Um... I have a kind of dumb question... I have a novel I'm dying for someone to get the chance to read to see if it's any good. There's just two things.
First off, I'm really worried (call me paranoid). How safe is it to post here? I mean how likely is it that someone's going to steal your work and publish it under their name?
Second off...um the word count is longer than the last Harry Potter book. Would anyone even read something that long? I mean if no one's going to check it out... I shouldn't bother.

Anyways... I've asked my dumb question (s).

~Dakota
What is important is to know fear and yet take a step forward.
Rosette Christopher

Looking for peeps to review my novel:)

novel.php?id=1142

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:46 am
View Likes
Sureal says...

First off, I'm really worried (call me paranoid). How safe is it to post here? I mean how likely is it that someone's going to steal your work and publish it under their name?

It's highly unlikely, but possible. If you're really worried about it, don't post up the entire novel - only post up (say) the first half, or first two thirds.

Second off...um the word count is longer than the last Harry Potter book. Would anyone even read something that long? I mean if no one's going to check it out... I shouldn't bother.

Good question ... I dunno.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to (again) only post up the first half or so of the novel? At least at first? It'd make it easier on the reviewers.
I wrote the above just for you.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 pm
View Likes
Xunnamius says...

In your opinion, what would be the "typical" amount of points donated extra to an advanced critiquer? On one hand, I don't want to give too much and go broke, but on the other, I don't wanna seem stingy :wink:
Out of English and into Programming!
This author is taking a break from his stories to create new ones in the world of C(#).

He'll be back. I promise!

What anime am I watching?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:41 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

The donation is just recommended, I've done a few advanced critiques in my time and it tends to just be a token amount, say fifty to one hundred points or so. What people would prefer you to do is offer to review something of theirs in return. When posting here you should review at least one advanced piece either before or within two weeks of posting your work. Then when you receive a review from someone, if they have a piece posted in the advanced section too, you are required to review theirs for them so you don't have to worry about a donation. If they don't which is quite often the case, rather than donating points they'd probably appreciate you doing a few 'normal' reviews for them to show your appreciation.

Either way, you can add a note to your synopsis to let reviewers know what they can expect in return.

I hope this makes sense!

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:21 am
View Likes
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

So it says that .rtf can be used on here. But when I try and upload with that format I get a message saying that format is not allowed. Any help?
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:02 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

That is probably a bug (the same error happened over blogs, but with .jpg files). Send Nate a message about it, or post on this thread
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:58 pm
View Likes
captain.classy says...

I think I am going to start doing review here before I post my story, but I was wondering something.

If you already posted a few chapters of this in, lets say, Action/Adventure fiction, should you post the entire story here, too?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:33 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

captain.classy wrote:I think I am going to start doing review here before I post my story, but I was wondering something.

If you already posted a few chapters of this in, lets say, Action/Adventure fiction, should you post the entire story here, too?

Yep. Just keep in mind that you post it here in just one thread and attached as a document.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm
View Likes
Wolferion says...

Hello! I've got a bit ... long question so I apologise ^^
I'm writing a novel that's based on two parts in each chapter, technically you could call that I'm writing two novels at the same time in the same city, same school, same people, the only difference is the main protagonist. In first part is a guy, in second is a girl. I always write everything as my thoughts go, I do not think of what everything will be in story first and then write according to it -> I seriously get a ... rather long chapter ( I have both parts [ Guy's story, Girl's story ] in one chapter, because they both go through the same day, but each thinks and does something different, they appear in each other's stories by some move, f.e. a previously written chat of a guy protagonist appears in the part of girl's story, but the thoughts are different ). Because of that, even first two chapters are really long (I exceed 10000 with just two chapters ), so I'd like to ask if there is a limit on maximal quantity of words or if not, how approximately many words you'd suggest to post in Advanced Critique section?

I'm sorry for the long question,
Thanks for reading,
Kyousuke
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Hi there! There's no limit on how many words a novel can be in this section and the rule is that what you post has to be a complete novel so you'd need to post all of it. I hope that's easy to understand,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm
View Likes
brassnbridle says...

I understand the novel rule but I feel kind of trapped. My complete book is some 68,300 words long. I don't want to screw something up, but I also wonder if anyone would even want to attempt to read it- to me that seems a lot to ask.
Am I allowed to post, say, the first half, when it'll be some eight or nine chapters and roughly 34,000 words long? Even that's triple the limit.
Advice, or am I doomed either way?
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:27 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Post the whole thing. Most of the novels here are at least that length or longer to be honest, I've reviewed one or two that were longer. The more people whose works you review here, the more likely you are to get a review in return. If you're really worried, you could pm someone who has a work of a similar length and see if they want to trade a review for a review.
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:39 am
View Likes
Karsten says...

68k is pretty short for a novel. I wouldn't worry.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 pm
View Likes
brassnbridle says...

All right; thanks :D
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill