z

Young Writers Society

CAPTIVE

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:02 pm
Carlito says...

Hello! I am looking for test readers and beta readers for my completed 72,000 word young adult contemporary novel. It's STOLEN (Lucy Christopher) meets IF I STAY (Gayle Forman).

Here is the pitch:
Spoiler! :
It’s supposed to be Molly’s trip of a lifetime: two weeks in the Philippines to forget about high school, forget about her unattainable crush, and try to make a difference.

One week in, her group is kidnapped at gunpoint.

Held for ransom in an island jungle and guarded by a rebel militia, Molly has to decide if she’s going to be a docile prisoner waiting for release, or if she’s going to take matters into her own hands. Every day is spent cooking or tending fires for their captors while avoiding torrential downpours and enormous insects. To keep hope alive in her darkest moments, Molly clings to memories of Noah, an old friend she’s quietly loved for years.

When news of the kidnapping reaches home, friends and family are left reeling. Noah begins to realize he might have chosen the wrong future; Molly’s socially anxious best friend starts a Facebook campaign to free her; and the journalist girlfriend of another captive brings vital attention to the case.

As the weeks in the jungle begin to add up, Molly struggles to maintain hope that she’ll ever make it out alive. Her friends are rallying hard for her release, but the deadly Filipino army is closing in, and her captors have started breaking their promises. If the ransom money doesn’t arrive soon, Molly’s group will be caught in the line of fire.

[Trigger warning: there's rape. (Implied and described in some detail).]

Before we go too much further, I want to make one point very clear: I take writing and revising very seriously. This is my third draft and I've been working on this off and on for years. I want to traditionally publish this novel - as in I want to acquire a literary agent who will lead me to an editor and a publishing house.

I sent out round of test queries earlier in the year and heard nothing back, and I'm looking to revise and try again. At this point, I've read this novel so many times I'm not confident I can look at it with fresh eyes anymore. I've gotten some good feedback from friends, but I would like some more :)

If you would like to help me out, here is what I'm looking for:
1. I want you to test read - meaning I want you to read the entire thing through once like you would if you picked this book up from the library. When you're done, I would like your overall feedback (like if you were going to write a book review). Did you like it or not? And why?
2. I want you to beta read - meaning I want you to go back through and make comments wherever you see fit (big picture things, little picture things, whatever you think it needs).
3. Extremely honest feedback. If you think it's the absolute worst thing you've ever read, don't spare my feelings. Tell me (and say why). I want all of your thoughts.

If you have a project you're working on, or you would like feedback on anything at all, I would happy to extend this exact same service to you.

I would prefer people that love reading young adult novels (especially YA contemporary).

If you're interested, please comment here or send me a PM. I can send you the first chapter so we can determine whether or not it's a good fit and then we can go from there.

Thanks in advance! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 pm
Mea says...

I'd be interested!

One question - what would it be rated? (12+, 18+, etc) I'm fine with violence, but I don't like lots of swearing.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm
Iggy says...

If you give me until next week, after my summer class finish, I'd be interested in reading the first chapter and seeing how we go from there. :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1162 Reviews

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 pm
Carlito says...

@Meandbooks - I would say 16+. There's some swearing, really from one character only, but not an obscene amount.

@Iggy - works for me!

Thanks much :D

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1085 Reviews

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:13 pm
Mea says...

That sounds fine. I'd like to try it out. :)

-EternalRain

-bluewaterlily

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 pm
Iggy says...

My first piece of advice? Rate it 18+. From what you've mentioned in the trigger, it's gonna need to be 18+ if it's goes into explicit details.

So yeah @meandbooks, if it's got explicit rape scenes, then it's gonna be 18+. You can sell a YA novel that mentions rape but if you're gonna go into explicits, I don't think a publisher will be down to market it as a YA novel.

*two cents* *will talk more about that with you next week* :P
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1162 Reviews

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:29 pm
Carlito says...

Rape is implied in a couple of cases, and in one case it's described in more detail although not explicitly. Just to clarify a little :)

Thanks again! :D

Ask a Therapist!

1085 Reviews

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:38 pm
Mea says...

@Iggy It shouldn't be a problem. Thanks though. :)

-EternalRain

-bluewaterlily

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:21 pm
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Can I just read first? I'm not sure if I can test read (since I've never done one) but I'll help the best I can. :)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:27 pm
artybirdy says...

I'd like to be a beta reader, but I can't guarantee my comments will be of any help. If you're okay with that, let me know. @Carlito
Last edited by artybirdy on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:03 am
crossroads says...

How's it going?
If you still need someone to beta for you, I'd be willing (given that you give me enough time 'cause work and life is happening every day). I'd also be willing to look at the query, if you wish, 'cause a fresh pair of eyes on that is always a good thing too c:

*is always happy to see other people are taking writing as seriously as she is*
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
— Amelia Earhart