z

Young Writers Society

Mixing Magic

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:38 am
View Likes
Mea says...

Hello! I recently finished the third draft of my middle grade fantasy novel titled Mixing Magic. It is 91,000 words (a little bit longer than Harry Potter #2).

The Pitch:
A young fairy living in a small trading town on the river, Ayda's dreams of a summer spent traveling the Three Kingdoms with her merchant family and practicing her sculpting are shattered when her parents tell her she must remain behind this year to study carpentry, a form of woodworking she hates. However, Ayda's problems are soon overshadowed when she finds a human girl named Madeline lost in the woods. Her arrival heralds the return of an ancient enemy, and soon Ayda finds herself in the center of a crisis that spans the Three Kingdoms, struggling to hold on to the dreams that define her as her world upends.

What I'm looking for:
I'm both looking for at least one person to read the whole thing through like you would a normal book, and then give me reader feedback based mostly on your reactions to the plot, characters, and pacing at a broad level. I want to know how you, as a reader, felt about the book. This person would preferably have not read any of the previous drafts (but we'll see).

I'm also looking for someone(s) to give me, in addition to broad feedback, chapter-by-chapter feedback on pacing, dialogue, continuity, that sort of thing. You definitely don't have to write the equivalent of a review for each chapter - I'd still like this to be mostly reader reactions, so you can be as brief or verbose as you feel like as a reader. I just want to know what you're thinking on a chapter-by-chapter basis in a few sentences or so. :) Again, the format is very flexible and pretty much up to you.

Why are you asking for all this?:
Put simply, because sooner or later, and preferably sooner, I want to try to get this novel published, and it needs to be in its very best state before then. I'm confident it's on it's way, but I need more eyes to see it as a whole.

What's in it for me?
Honestly, what do you want? I'm happy to follow your novel in return (with some restrictions depending on what you write), give you lots of points (and I have a lot), mention you in the acknowledgements if it ever gets published (I'm kidding but also serious), or just be unendingly grateful to you. Let's work something out. :)

Reply below or PM me if you're interested! I write in Scrivener, so I can send the full draft in just about any file type you like - Word doc, PDF, ePub, and so on.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Do you have a deadline for readers? I'm def interested, but with class and my own revisions I probably couldn't read in earnest until Christmas break.

1085 Reviews

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:00 pm
Mea says...

@BlueAfrica - No hard deadline in mind, I'm planning on leaving the draft alone for several months at this point. Christmas would be more than fine. <3

-EternalRain

-bluewaterlily

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm
BluesClues says...

Okay! I'll PM you.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:16 am
Carlito says...

You have my email ;)
Word doc please! 🤗🤗
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1085 Reviews

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:20 pm
Mea says...

@Carlito - sent! :)

-EternalRain

-bluewaterlily

You won't know the outcome of something unless you try it.
— manilla