z

Young Writers Society

Five Tips to Motivate Yourself

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:08 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I've heard tons of people complain about having writer's block, and I'm sure you have too. Now, sometimes, you may think you have the dreaded disease when you really just are being lazy. How do you conquer that?

I'm just as lazy of a person as the next one, and I'm here with tips on how to conquer laziness. The idea behind all of these is to get yourself motivated. There are many ways to do this:

1) NaNoWriMo

If November is coming up, use your novel as your NaNo. It should create at least some motivation.

If November is nowhere close to now, make your own! Any month can be NaNoWriMo unofficially! Little tip: Don't use February, for obvious reasons.

2) Make a bet

This is working wonders with me. I made a bet with a friend of mine that likes Eragon that I could write a better novel by the end of the school year. I'm more motivated than ever!

3) Reward yourself

Tell yourself something like "If I finish my novel by the end of the school year, I'll host a party with all my friends." Anything that does something good for you is perfect.

4) Get your friends to help

No, I'm not saying to make your friends write your novel for you, though that would be pretty awesome if you could keep all the credit. Tell your friends and family to help you by nagging you to keep writing. If you provide them with chapters and make them read it, then they'll have lots of motivation to motivate you.

Unless they don't like it. In which case they'd better be able to act like they like it until you finish the first draft.

5) Place reminders where you'll see them

If you spend tons of time watching TV when you could be writing, put a sticky note on the TV. If it's the computer, put a sticky note there. Just put them where you'll see them, and you'll be reminded to write.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 pm
Cade says...

I like your NaNo tip. In April I did National Poetry Writing Month--I wrote a poem for every day in April. It made me tear my hair out, and most of what I wrote was terrible, but it makes you think a LOT.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

I like these tips, especially the NaNo one :)
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 am
tori1234 says...

um.....what's wrong with February?
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:09 am
Durriedog says...

It has less days. Thanks for the tips! I love sticky notes... *sticks one on tori's forehead*
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun May 22, 2011 3:01 am
Pundit says...

Stick one on your computer so you see it every time you come to get on YWS.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
George Orwell

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 am
Samp says...

These are great tips!
Although at times I see my reminders and totally ignore them ><
Absence weakens mediocre passions and increases great ones the same way wind blows out candles and kindles fires.

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart