Young Writers Society

No, you DON'T suck. Honest.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:57 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

The most common question I get as a reviewer of fiction isn't about whether I can review work. Nor is it about grammar, description, or any other common writing problems. No, the question is, "Do you think I'm good enough?"

It's always a difficult question to answer, not because the answer is difficult, but because the question is vague. My answer usually is, "Yes, your writing is good -- all you need to work on is _________ and you can become great."

For some reason, I don't think people take me seriously when I say that. I don't know much about psychology, but what I do know is that there is almost a shy lack of confidence in writers here. For those writers, I have a question:

Why exactly do you write?

Writing is more than just words and grammar and sentence structure and spelling. Yes, those are important too, and I won't deny it, but writing is more than just that. Writing is a way to express the innermost depths of your soul. It is a part of you whether you like it or not. That's why, during a particularly harsh critique, you might feel mad or discouraged. It isn't just your writing that the reviewer is commenting on -- it's you!

But at the same time, it's not quite you. As much as it is a part of you, it also is apart from you. Finally, writing is not what you want it to be -- you really have no control over that -- but what is. Writing is your reality.

Every writer is different. Every one. Each one contributes some part of your soul to another person (yourself, your reader, me, whoever) and allows you to share your thoughts and feelings without surrendering your mind. Whatever you say is, in some way, unique, and if the subject is not unique, then the way you tell it is.

Don't be convinced that you are a bad writer just because you aren't as good as someone here. You are you, and you can't be that other person you admire. Instead, be proud. Don't be afraid to contribute your own work, which is as unique as you are. You don't suck... honest.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:51 pm
crewgurl93 says...

Thanks!!! :D
Goth-Hippie?!

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

Wow...I feel like I'm a great writer now. Thanks. xD
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:12 am
Durriedog says...

*tears up* Thanks Snoinkers!
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am
jimdandy says...

I think I can appreciate myself a bit more now. Thank you.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus
"I didn't lie! I just created fiction with my mouth." - Homer

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken