z

Young Writers Society

Best Writing Environments

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:14 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

When writing, you need to have the right environment. Simply sitting down and trying to ink something out will result in lower quality writing than if you take the time to come up with your personal space. This is not only true for short stories or novels, but also for research papers and essays.

In coming up with the perfect writing environment for you, you need to consider six elements:

1. Light
    2. Temperature
    3. Food
    4. Noise
    5. Preparation
    6. Time of Day

Now, none of this is groundbreaking stuff and chances are that you already know what works best for you. However, most people still don’t take any of these six elements into account.

Light: Some like a lot of light, others like only enough to see the keyboard or the writing pad. Then there’s the color of the light: yellow or white? Maybe you even prefer red light! For me, I write best with only a 4o watt yellow light.

Temperature: In general, the ideal temperature for studying and writing is 70 degrees for boys, and 75 degrees for girls. Set it too high for boys, and they start falling asleep. Set it too low for girls, and they start shivering. So if you’re a guy, keep it cool. If you’re a gal, turn it up. Of course, this is only generally speaking.

Food: Some people need to have something to nibble on, such as crackers or two pounds of steak when writing. Others don’t want any at all. Me? I work best on an empty stomach and with no food in sight.

Noise: If you’re like me, then you need music playing, but nothing else (e.g., no people talking, no doors shutting, no dog barking). Others like writing in noisy places, while most can only write with only music playing or even nothing at all.

Preparation:
Follow the motto of the Boy Scouts and Be Prepared! This cannot be stressed enough; make sure you have everything you need before you sit down. Lights? Check. Temperature? Check. Bowl of mashed potatoes? Check. Bathroom break? Check. On top of all that, make sure (if it’s a novel) you have your outline printed and in arm’s length. If it’s a research paper, make sure you have all your research materials nearby. And always, always have pens, pencils, erases, and paper in arm’s length even if you don’t plan on using any of it.

Time of Day: I saved this one for last because for me, it’s the most important. None of the above matter if I’m writing around noon as no matter what, the writing will stink. In fact, I can’t write at all before 9 p.m., and I do my best writing around midnight. Figuring out if it’s early morning, late morning, afternoon, mid-afternoon, evening, dusk, or midnight for you is going to take a lot of experimenting if you haven’t already.

So there you have it! The six elements you need to consider in choosing the perfect writing environment for you.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 pm
jonny911 says...

Very helpful! I don't get that temperature thing, but I'll get over it!
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:16 am
BrightBlueDimond says...

I thought that's very helpfull. But, is it better to type all of your story on the computer first time or write it on paper and then copy up?? Thanks. (: x

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:46 pm
MidnightVampire says...

About that time of day thing, I'm like you, It's best if I write around midnight (which does bother my dad), either that or any time during a thunder storm.

Helpful.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:22 am
kenni says...

really helpful..... it explains sooo much!!!
xX-Team Jacob-Xx

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 pm
niccy_v says...

I need to learn conversions. What on earth is 75 degrees F in Celcius?? I'd boil if that was C lol.

Ahh great tips Nate! Totally brilliant
Writing gives my life purpose

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:02 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

This is helpful...thanks Nate! xD
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 am
Durriedog says...

Thanks Nate! Is it just me or is there an echo in here? *shrug*
Hahaha good thing I live in Aus then, if us gals like a higher temperature! No good when sweat literally starts dripping down your calves, though... eugh!
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 pm
deleted5 says...

Nice guide @Nate! I have to remember you don't mean Celsius in the temperature bit.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality