Reviewing: The gentle way

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Don't like to criticise?
That's fine. We all review our own way.

Quite often on YWS we use different words when replying to someone's work. Responses, comments, reviews, critiques, e.c.t

Then there’s all the other words; appraisal, evaluation, assessment, mark-up, proof, analysis. Scorn, judgement, praise, encouragement. Just because it’s called a ‘critique’ doesn’t mean you have to sit and criticize for two hundred and fifty characters to get your points.

If you find it hard to speak negatively about someone’s work, but can’t seem to make your reviews meet the quota, then here’s a few other things you can comment on instead.

:smt003 Grammar and Spelling

Fixing grammar, spelling and minor typos isn’t a way of demeaning someone. I am really bad at proofing my own text so I always appreciate the effort. You don’t need to give lectures or explain why it’s wrong, you’re just tidying up the nitpicks that they’ve missed.

‘ ‘Pumkin’ - *Pumpkin’

‘ ‘I had went’ should be ‘I had gone’

‘ ‘When i walked…’ don’t forget to capitalise your I’s.’

:smt003 Style

The great thing about style is that there isn’t really a good or bad to it. People have their own preferences, but no particular style of writing will suit everyone. You can give your impression and the writer can do with this what they wish.
Simply say what you notice.

‘The style is very simple, which works since I can see this story being ideal for younger readers.’

‘English isn’t my first language, so I found some of the longer words hard to understand.’

:smt003 Characters

What the writer wants to convey and what actually comes across can be different, so it’s always useful to get someone else’s opinion on the matter. It’s easy. Just write what you think of the characters.

‘I get the impression Luke doesn’t really like Ellie that much, but they’re both friends with Brie, so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.’

‘Does Vayne have parents? I can’t believe they let him stay out past midnight!’

:smt003 Plot

If you’re reviewing chapters (which is more fun than it sounds) then you’re in a position to comment on the plot and that’s something many writers feel insecure about. After all, the plot is the backbone, so by giving feedback the writer can see it forming from someone else’s perspective.

‘The plot is moving forward really fast here, I hope something exciting is going to happen soon!’

‘I’d love to read more about that love triangle, it was just about taking off.’

:smt003 Don't forget

Receiving criticism is never easy and the first time is always the hardest. However, receiving constructive criticism from peers is the safest and nicest way to toughen up for facing real setbacks in the future. When done with consideration it can make us strong enough to pick ourselves back up when things don't go our way and bold enough to grab the quill and ink and try again.
We were born to be amazing.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 am
deleted5 says...

Nice guide Tenyo!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

If I may add to that, a harsh review can be made softer by "keep up the good work" or somthing similar at the end.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:06 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

Absolutely... This is an awesome guide for it! Thanks, Tenyo! Some reviews I leave seem a little negative to me... and I don't want that! After all, this site is supposed to encourage writing, not discourage, no matter what skills the writer has.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken