z

Young Writers Society

How to format your poetry on YWS

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:18 pm
View Likes
ImHero says...

hello everyone. This thread will show you the easiest way to get rid of all the double spaced formatting in your poems. This is something that Nate is working on but the problem persists still and I see lots of people that say "formatting is messed up;" I even had people ask me how to get their poems correctly formatted.

1. You want to paste your poem in the code section, this will ignore all the bad formatting so that the it is easier to manipulate. In order to do this press the <> button on the top left of the options on the top.

2. When you post your poem all you have to do is add a "<br>" (without quotes) on every single line. Even the lines that are blank. You can do this faster by copying the <br> and clicking at the end of each line holding the control key (ctrl for short, bottom left of keyboard) and pressing v. Ctrl+v will paste them quickly.

wala

new profile: profile.php?u=36729

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 pm
Messenger says...

Thanks, this helped a lot.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:53 am
Dreamy says...

And what if we want to use Italics?
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:33 pm
niteowl says...

@Dreamy! No big deal. Once you've got the spacing right per these instructions, go back to the main text editor, highlight the part you want to italicize, then hit the I button.

Or you could use <i></i> tags in the black window.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

382 Reviews

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 am
Dreamy says...

Ah, thank you! ^_^
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 pm
rhiasofia says...

what if you're doing line breaks and there's space at the start of some lines?
Your head is a living forest full of song birds
~E. E. Cummings

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue May 06, 2014 1:26 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Or! You guys could have it pretty formatted on your favourite text editor - take a screenshot of it and paste it! (Side note, youcan't edit the " text" on YWS)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed May 14, 2014 2:37 pm
Caerulean says...

^ Good idea! :) Anyway, thanks to the OP, although I already know how to use the <br> tag and have already been using it. I'm still having trouble with the formatting here. -.-
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 am
View Likes
Aley says...

A quicker way to format your poetry here if you're not into the technical stuff is as follows:

1. Write the poem where-ever you write poems

2. Copy/Type the poem up

3. Paste the poem into a snail-mail Message found next to "Me" and "New" at the top of the page on YWS.
[select Compose Message, and just paste/type it into the text box.]

4. Copy the poem from the text box in the message.
[You have to re-copy it if you copied it already]

5. Paste it into the Publishing Center

6. Erase the extra space at the top of the poem.

If you need to edit something with the lines or stanzas, edit it first in the message and re-copy it again.

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 am
therealme says...

I already knew all this ^_^ I asked about it ages ago.

Although what really annoys me is that if you ever want to edit your poem it deletes all the '<br>'s you put in previously and goes back to one big block of no-spaced writing. So if you ever want to edit it you have to put in all the '<br>'s again, which really sucks.

But thanks anyway!
"It is our Light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

382 Reviews

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:18 pm
Dreamy says...

None's working for me. D: I can't seem to get the spaces between the stanzas. ;_;

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:17 pm
Tenyo says...

@Dreamy Did you make sure to put <br> on the empty lines as well?
We were born to be amazing.

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value...
— John Oliver