z

Young Writers Society

The YWS Critique Sandwich

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:03 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I'd like to introduce you to the YWS critique sandwich. This is something I noticed YWSers doing some years ago, and I think it's a great way to write a review.

First, begin with what you liked about the poem or story. And be sure to explain why! The first part of the critique sandwich should be at least two sentences long. Of course, please feel free to make it much longer than that.

Second, go into the real meat of the review. Pick out some parts the author could improve on since all of us have stuff we could improve on. It could be something as simple as using spell-check to something as complex as getting dialogue right. And if there's something you didn't like about the work, write about it in this part of the critique sandwich (just be sure to explain why you didn't like it).

Third, finish off your review with a short conclusion. It doesn't need to be any more than a couple sentences long, but you should spend some time to sum up what you thought of the piece overall. You can also spend time re-addressing the main points of your review.

In all, you should be spending only about 10 to 15 minutes on your review. If you're doing less than that, then you have to ask yourself, "Is what I'm saying really helping the author?"

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 am
TalaPaulwic says...

This seems like a good method for doing things. Makes sense, it's clear, and it makes the author feel like you don't hate them.
All I can hear; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". Even those tears; "I me mine, I me mine, I me mine". No one's frightened of playing it. Everyone's saying it. Flowing more freely than wine. All through your life; "I me mine".

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 am
Caerulean says...

This is really a helpful guide. Thanks. :)
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 am
View Likes
Jashael says...

This is so right, Mr. Nate. :) Good thing this is how I review. L-D
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 pm
HHemayed says...

Thank you for the good ideas.:)
To be alive is not to breathe, eat or drink. It's your ability to prove your existence.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 am
View Likes
davantageous says...

that's what he said...........nomnomnom...wolf babies :P
Davantageous

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 am
KittyCatMeow says...

It IS the truth. I didn't read this until now. This should be helpful! Thanks!
Whee. I don't even know what to put here.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:25 am
View Likes
spinelli says...

Sure, it's cute, but what's a diet of only sandwiches? :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 am
View Likes
Sylar14 says...

This is really helpful. I always thought that I didn't know how to write reviews, but it turns out I've been doing something similar to this all along. Heh.
Thank you for the advice!
"Alone.
Yes, that's the keyword, the most awful word in the English tongue. Murder doesn't hold a candle to it and Hell is but a poor synonym." ~Stephen King

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:49 pm
Chanta1234 says...

This seems very helpful for new comers such as myself thanks Nate :D
~Chanta~

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu May 28, 2015 3:15 pm
Lefty says...

I totally think that's the way to review. Not only are those reviews nicer to read but I find myself listening to and respecting those kinds of reviewers more than the ones that solely throw criticism at me. If feels more like they care and are there to really try and help you out, not just tell you everything that's wrong with your story. I always try to review the sandwich way and I think people are usually pretty happy with my reviews! Perfect explanation. Thanks, Nate!
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Sat May 30, 2015 2:22 am
View Likes
RubyRed says...

Yes, that is a very helpful outline. I will try my best to use it. :pirate3:
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:42 pm
View Likes
moonlightbh says...

Phew! Thank you for writing this Mr.Nate.
I'm someone who's constantly worried of what others will think about the things I do or say, this comes off very helpful to put my thoughts in one place. And to not let them spill around all over the place and make someone think I'm being rude to them.
"Tell me the story about how the Sun loved the Moon so much he died every night to let her breathe. "

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 am
View Likes
shaon says...

Nate wrote:I'd like to introduce you to the YWS critique sandwich. This is something I noticed YWSers doing some years ago, and I think it's a great way to write a review.

First, begin with what you liked about the poem or story. And be sure to explain why! The first part of the critique sandwich should be at least two sentences long. Of course, please feel free to make it much longer than that.

Second, go into the real meat of the review. Pick out some parts the author could improve on since all of us have stuff we could improve on. It could be something as simple as using spell-check to something as complex as getting dialogue right. And if there's something you didn't like about the work, write about it in this part of the critique sandwich (just be sure to explain why you didn't like it).

Third, finish off your review with a short conclusion. It doesn't need to be any more than a couple sentences long, but you should spend some time to sum up what you thought of the piece overall. You can also spend time re-addressing the main points of your review.

In all, you should be spending only about 10 to 15 minutes on your review. If you're doing less than that, then you have to ask yourself, "Is what I'm saying really helping the author?"

It's really helpful.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:20 am
View Likes
Astronomer says...

I just wrote my first review, and I will definitely be using the critique sandwich for my second.

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble