z

Young Writers Society

Need Help Writing a Basic Review?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:23 pm
View Likes
alwaysawriter says...

Many new members have the question of "What do I say in a review?". The information below may help you. I wrote this to help someone out a week or two ago and hopefully, I can more members by posting this.

Read the entire story first. Some things that may be confusing in the beginning may be explained toward the end. You see the bigger side of things this way.

After you've done that, scrutinize the story. Pick it apart. Some things to look for:

-Grammar (Don't point out every little thing. If it's a constant grammar violation, tell them to read over it to find the rest of them and give them a general suggestion on how to fix it. The only exception to not pointing out every little thing is when they ask for help in grammar--then you can point out every little thing)

-Word choice (Do the words fit the rest of the sentence? The rest of the paragraph? If they don't, tell them that and suggest they find a synoym)

-Characters (Do they seem too nice? Too whiny? Too arrogant? Too shy? Is there something slightly off about them? Do you like them? Hate them? Why? What can be improved about them?)

-Plot (Is it original? Unoriginal? What could be changed about it? Why do you like it? Why do you not like it? Why? Did everything fit together? Were there parts that confused you? What were they and why?)

-Show, don't Tell (If the writer is saying "He laughed.", they're showing. Tell them to describe their laughter.)

-Description (Is there too little? Too much? Hint: Too little meaning you can't draw a basic picture what's going on in the story in your head. Too much being to the point where there's not much left to the imagination. Note: A writer doesn't have to describe how a character looks so don't tell them to; generally speaking, it's boring to read, readers don't care, and it leaves less to the imagination).

-Dialogue (Is there too little? Too much? Is it realistic? Unrealistic? Why?)

-Spacing (Do they start a new paragraph after each person talks?)

-Overall (Did you like it in whole? Did you not like it? Why? Summerize what you said above with everything else).

-Reread it a third time and add in anything you may have missed the second time.

-End (Sign your name at the end.)

Notes:

-Add in compliments.

-Always give suggestions when possible about how to fix things and always explain why you said something (Like if the character is too nosey. Why is the character too nosey? Give examples).

-You don't have to go in that order. When you're quoting, just point things out as you see them; put them in organized paragraphs otherwise.

-All stories are different. That's just a basic review outline for all fiction stories. If there's not a problem with it or it's something you don't know what to say on, you don't have to say anything at all.

If there's anything anyone thinks I should add, please let me know!:)

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 pm
ZaddieCaso says...

Thanks, this was really helpful :)
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:32 am
VivielTwixt says...

Thanks, I'll use this advice.
If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world, there's nothing to it
-Wonka

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:56 am
bagelbaby says...

This really helps! Writing this probably took a while, but it is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-bagelbaby <3

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:28 pm
Blues says...

This is great! I'd have loved to have seen this when I was a newbie!

Show, don't Tell (If the writer is saying "He laughed.", they're showing. Tell them to describe their laughter.)

I think you mean 'they're telling'. But this is brilliant!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 am
View Likes
zohali93 says...

Blues wrote:This is great! I'd have loved to have seen this when I was a newbie!

Show, don't Tell (If the writer is saying "He laughed.", they're showing. Tell them to describe their laughter.)

I think you mean 'they're telling'. But this is brilliant!

Lol. Thats the reviewing spirit!

Thanks for the tips!
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (29:2)

207 Reviews

Reviews: 207
Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:12 am
Rin321 says...

Thanks! This will be a great help for me!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I am a funtastic awesome writer-
what are you?

You are an awesome writer as well-that is what you are

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown