590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Storybook Month is Back!

Ahoy, mateys!

As June and a heated round of Team Tortoise come to an end, we usher in another big YWS event!

The pirates of the Storybook Crew - and any of the other pirates that want in on the treasure - have returned with the site's third Storybook Month! We have all sorts of piratey schemes ready for you to help you make the most of your time in the seven storybooking seas this July - and all you have to do is subscribe to this thread to find out what they are and when they happen.

In the meantime, however, here's a list of things that are coming up this SB Month:

> Countless storybooking and roleplaying workshops!
    > Write-ins!
    > A Roleplay Duos* Contest!
    > A new tagbook!
    > More storybooks!
    > More roleplays!
    > Another Captain's Challenge!
    > A second, even more special challenge!
    > And a brand new roleplaying game, courtesy of @Tenyo!

*Formerly known as the Double-Trouble Writing Huddle!

And, of course, feel free to make new storybooks and roleplays of your own! Just make sure to post about them here so we can all join in on your seafaring adventures.

Happy sailing, mateys, and don't forget to subscribe to this thread!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If you're interested in Storybook Month, but not really sure what it's all about, go check out this interview @Liberty did with me over in Squills!

It has a lot of advice and information on storybooking and SB Month, but here's a little quick summary of what SB Month is all about:

Good question! Storybook Month (sometimes shortened to SB Month) is a month meant to celebrate the storybook section of YWS. That section and the celebration includes, storybooks, roleplays and the soon-to-be-renamed Double-Trouble Writing Huddle section. It's not exactly like it, but SB month is modeled after monthly events like NaPoWriMo, NaNoWriMo and RevMo.

In those events, the goal is to write as much poetry, novel chapters, and reviews as you can. SB Month is essentially the same thing, but with the storybook section instead. The biggest difference between them is that the storybook section is built on collaboration. You can write and review on your own, but you often have to wait for other people to post in the SB section. Because of that, there isn't really a daily requirement.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:56 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Roleplay Duos Contest is now up! If you want to write a thread with another person and get points out of it, make sure to swing by that thread and check it out.

It starts today and ends on August 31st, so you have plenty of time to get your entries in. And, if you don't have someone in mind for a partner, you can even request one in the Roleplay Duos Contest Roulette.
mage

queer and here.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:42 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

The Official Storybook Month Storybook is Out Now!

...and it's perfect for new storybookers!

"I'd rather die my way than live yours.
-Lauren Oliver, Delirium

The year is 1874, and Japan is under siege. American troops desire the island nation as a trading outpost, but Japan has refused all requests from them to use it as such. American President Millard Fillmore declares war with Japan, and they largely outnumber the small country's military force. Yet, skirmish after skirmish, Japan takes victory. Backup takes more than two months to cross the ocean, meaning America is at a severe disadvantage.

In order to turn the tides of war, they aim to claim a small island off the south coast of Japan, Okinawa. Okinawa is in the perfect location, because it can be defended from Japanese troops, and a base could be set up to store supplies and house troops. The war could turn to their side.

Okinawa Prefecture contains Higashi Village. Higashi Village is the town American boats need to land on, due to riptides and wind paths. The citizens of Higashi Village have no defense from the troops, so America expects an easy claim of land.

However, a group of eight citizens are not prepared to give up the island, knowing it could mean the downfall of Japan's precious isolation. They are prepared to set aside their differences in order to save their homeland.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

While it may not have been planned like the write-in @soundofmind ran the other day, there's a new storybook write-in happening right now! Hop on if you want to work on anything storybook section - or if you want to ask some questions on storybooking. :)
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:15 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Great YWS Treasure Hunt

A YWS Tagbook

Storybook Month 2020

mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:59 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Calling all Character Creators, New and Old!

AAAAR you ready for the first of the promised workshops here for Storybook Month? Looking to build some skills through collaboration, discussion, and ultimately the creation of your very own OC's and roleplays? Look no further! Drop the anchor, come to port, for may I present, the one, the only--

A Workshop from the Storybook Seas
Creating & Developing Original Characters from Scratch

On Wednesday, July 15th, @ 1 o'clock PM Pacific Standard Time
that's 8 o'clock GMT & 4 o'clock EST to name some of the more useful times, for those of you who must convert

EDIT: Mage showed me how to do the date thing, so!

That's it!
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:16 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm stealing this from a wall post @soundofmind made, but this is what @Featherstone's workshop is in your timezone! It's automatically converted to whatever time zone you're in. :)

mage

queer and here.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:27 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

A Knight's Journey: Tales from Outside the Great Hall

On behalf of the Court of the Knights of the Green Room and our @KotGRCommander, I present to you a SB years in the making - the Officialâ„¢ Knights of the Green Room Storybook!

If you're in the Knights of the Green Room, please join this, it's going to be a ton of fun, with challenges, opportunities to earn new KotGR titles, and even some top secret stories from the Commander themself! We've got a whole list of Rules to check out before posting, but it'll be ongoing so you can join anytime or leave when you're busy. Hope you check it out!

KotGRCommander wrote:
A Knight's Journey:
Tales from Outside the Great Hall

Coinciding with our latest victory in the Green Room, the Court of the Knights of the Green Room are happy to announce the opening of the Official Knights of the Green Room Storybook! It's open to all members Knights of the Green Room Knight and is a place where the adventures of your knight-character can continue, telling stories of your battles in the Green Room or going on adventures around the castle.

Huzzah!

Link to original comment

If you're not currently in the Knights of the Green Room, and want to join here is the info on how to join you can also send me, @EditorAndPerks, or @CaptainJack a PM
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

It was ominously hinted at in this thread back at the very beginning of this month and you may have seen it being played out on @AstralHunter and @Tenyo's walls a little while ago.

But Tenyo has a surprise for you this SB Month - a brand-new roleplaying game!

Technically it's an old one, but it has a fun little twist. If you've enjoyed playing battleships in the past and are desperately craving an online equivalent, Battleships RP! is for you. You can probably guess what the major difference with the YWS version is, but here's a description taken right from Tenyo's thread:

Battleships is a game where each person has a grid, and a number of ships that occupy spaces multiple spaces on that grid. You then take turns to fire a cannon at a space on the board. Your opponent then tells you if you've hit or missed one of their ships.

The aim is to sink all of your opponents ships before they sink yours.

Battleships RP is the same game, but written as a role play, with vivid descriptions of the battle and the crew. You'll need someone else to allocate your ship locations as they'll all be on the same grid.
mage

queer and here.

*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits