z

Young Writers Society

Homophones!

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:54 am
Mars says...

In elementary school, my teacher told us about homophones: those words that sound the same but are spelled differently and mean different things. These poor words cause a lot of confusion, and, unfortunately, using the wrong one can distort the meaning of your work. So I've compiled a list of some of the most commonly mixed-up homophones and their meanings.

accept & except

Accept is a verb which means 'to adapt to,' 'to receive,' or 'to agree to' something. Except is a preposition or verb and means "excluding" or "to exclude."

Susie accepted the award with a handshake and a smile.
They were all covered in dirt, except him.

alter & altar

Alter is a verb meaning 'to change.' Altar is a noun: a table used in some religious ceremonies (such as where priests prepare Communion during a Catholic Mass).

We altered the dress to fit like a glove.
Ursula stood in white at the altar, wondering if she had left the stove on.

by, bye, & buy

By is a preposition indicating nearness. Bye is a shortened form of 'goodbye,' meaning farewell. Buy is a verb meaning 'to purchase.'

Isabel's house is by the seaside.
"Bye!" she called, as Oliver disappeared down the street.
Ian buys way too many shoes.

desert & dessert

Desert is a noun: a dry, sandy area. Dessert is a different noun: the sweet stuff in the last course of a meal.

The desert winds twisted the sand up into a whirlwind.
We ate tiramisu and fruit kebabs for dessert.

its & it's

This is one of the most common homophone mix-ups, for good reason: much of the time, when we see 's, it signifies possession.

It's is different, however. It's is a contraction of it is. Thus, to avoid confusion between contraction and possession, the possessive form of it doesn't use an apostrophe: its is the possessive form, signifying ownership. Examples:

It's only twenty degrees out. (It is only twenty degrees out.)
Its fur was the color of burnt oranges. [The fur belonging to it was the color of burnt oranges.]

past & passed

Passed is a verb, the past-tense form of pass. Past is, well, history.

She passed Timothy the carrots; I passed by her.
"I don't want to talk about your past, okay?"

peace, piece, & peas

All three of these words are nouns, but their meanings differ. Peace is the opposite of war. A piece is a part of something. Peas are vegetables.

One day, we'll achieve world peace.
The glass window shattered to pieces.
Yvette likes her peas frozen.

scents, sense, & cents

Scents is the plural form of the noun scent, meaning smell. A sense is a feeling (think our five senses). It can also be a verb. And cents are US currency.

The scents in the air were different perfumes.
His spidey-sense was tingling.
In Benedetto's wallet she found twenty dollars and thirteen cents.

they're, their, & there

Along with it's and its, these are some of the most commonly confused homophones. As it's is a contraction of it is, they're is a contraction of they are. Their is the possessive form of they. There is an unrelated word indicating a position or a place.

They're getting angry! (They are getting angry now!)
I took their hat. [I took the hat belonging to them.]
You go and stand over there.

too, to, & two

This is another of the most common cases of confusion! Too is an adverb meaning 'as well as,' 'also,' or 'excessively.' To is a preposition indicating direction. Two is a number.

I want a banana too; I was driving too fast.
Richard is going to Phoenix tomorrow; I gave a gift to her.
"Two pills every day for a week, John."

you're & your

This homophone mix-up follows the same rules as it's and its. You're is a contraction of you are. Your is the possessive form of you.

You're incredibly cute. [You are incredibly cute.]
Your pants are on fire. [The pants belonging to you are on fire.]

What other homophones do you struggle with?
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Hi, Mars! Good thing you brought this up.

their is the plural form of they

Correction: it's the possessive form. :)

x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year