z

Young Writers Society

British and American Spellings: The Differences

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:02 pm
View Likes
godlypopo says...

YWS has a diverse population, with members from all over the world - members who use different types of English. From countless experiences I have found that the different types of English are not very well understood. When writing reviews, it's important to keep this in mind! Don't correct someone's spelling without doing a quick Google-search first to see if the word is really spelled wrong, rather than simply being the alternative spelling of another variant of English. It's not incorrect to spell things differently if you are using a different form of English.

Here are some common words that are spelled differently depending on whether the writer uses British or American English:

1. British English: Realise
American English: Realize

2. British English: Centre Fibre Litre Metre
American English: Center Fiber Liter Meter

3. British English: Colour Flavour Humour Labour Neighbour
American English: Color Flavor Humor Labor Neighbor

4. British English: Analyse Paralyse
American English: Analyze Paralyze

5. British English: Defence Licence Offence
American English: Defense License Offense

Other spellings include:
Moustache and mustache
Tyre and tire
pyjamas and pajamas
cheque and check
woollen and woolen
jewellery and jewelry
programme and program

These are only the examples @steampowered and I could think of - if I have missed out anything important please mention it below

That's all from me,
Godly :D
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:48 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Is mustache the British spelling? Because that would explain why my computer always thinks I'm spelling it wrong when I think I'm spelling it right. (Although, since I'm American, I'm not quite sure where I got that spelling anyway. Whatever.)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:02 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

"Offence" is also an accepted American spelling. And spellings aren't the end of using other forms of English—there's a lot of individualized slang that could be sorted by region, let alone country.

And another note—I believe the Commonwealth countries (Britain's territories/former territories, including Australia, New Zealand, and Canada (correct me if I'm wrong)) officially use British spellings. But yes, a good simple resources on spotting the differences between the two. ^^
stay off the faerie paths

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:51 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

@BlueAfrica, 'moustache' is the British spelling. ^^

Another word spelled differently in British and American English is manoeuvre (British) and maneuver (American).
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

The reason for this difference is partly a matter of developing languages as new tech appears while in partial isolation, (torch/flashlight for example) but partly a matter of petty disagreements. See up until that whole fight between Britian and the US, the citizens of the us saw themselves as british (not all, just the majority), so were fine with the language, but after all the chaos that lead to the split.

So they did a lot of things to try to set themselves apart as their own country. At one point they thought to develop a whole new language, while another was to adapt one of the many languages mixed upon their population. This was never decided upon (thus why TECHNICALLY the US has no official language) but they still wanted to do something so they started changing the spellings of all sorts of words. Adding and taking away parts till its current result.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:39 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I have read that Noah Webster is specifically responsible for removing the "u" from words like "colour" ("color"). Perhaps more, but specifically that, when he made the first dictionary of "American English."

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 pm
Zolen says...

BlueAfrica wrote:I have read that Noah Webster is specifically responsible for removing the "u" from words like "colour" ("color"). Perhaps more, but specifically that, when he made the first dictionary of "American English."

yap
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:49 pm
Firestarter says...

In British English, the word program and programme are both used, but for different things. It is not as simple to say that programme is used for everything.

For example, in British English, there are computer programs, but alternatively there are government programmes.

Useful link with a list of all common spelling differences.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:32 pm
godlypopo says...

Firestarter wrote:In British English, the word program and programme are both used, but for different things. It is not as simple to say that programme is used for everything.

For example, in British English, there are computer programs, but alternatively there are government programmes.

Useful link with a list of all common spelling differences.

I'm British too :p Just managed to forget that XD
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:33 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Another difference I became aware of is 'practice/practise'. In British English, 'practice' is the noun, and 'practise' is the verb, whereas American English only uses 'practice' for both. I was never aware that Americans didn't use the 'ise' form until I received a review from a well-meaning but oblivious-to-British-English reviewer who 'corrected' my use of the word 'practising'.

And another note—I believe the Commonwealth countries (Britain's territories/former territories, including Australia, New Zealand, and Canada (correct me if I'm wrong)) officially use British spellings

We do. The American influence creeps in a bit from time to time, but we do use the British spellings.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:26 am
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

The fun part is when you're an American who reads a lot of British books and thus occasionally uses British spelling. Except my teachers like to mark it wrong. My particular "issue" is spelling words as learnt (which is the specific one I've had marked wrong), dreamt, leapt, and smelt, instead of learned, dreamed, leaped, smelled. I don't know. The British version just seems crisper to me.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:59 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

I use British spelling all the time, even though I'm an American. But it's quite by accident, and I don't realize it most of the time.

I talk to way too many European people. xD
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:29 pm
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Check and Cheque. Wow, that's some serious difference.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:53 pm
Holysocks says...

I'm from Canada so I tend to use British English... Though I've always used 'realize' and I thought the ones with Zs were British, anyway.
100% autistic

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:47 pm
Lava says...

I'm always inconsistent with the two sets of spellings - I hate it!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot