z

Young Writers Society

British and American Spellings: The Differences

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:55 pm
godlypopo says...

@Lava Same here :/
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:22 am
donizback says...

And the different pronunciation for the word "Poem"! That one caught me a year ago. xD
Alone is what I have, alone protects me.

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm
View Likes
TheRobster1991 says...

I find it a little annoying when I spell a word and then Microsoft Word tells me I'm wrong and I'm pretty sure I'm not. Then I see that it's set to American English... :)

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:39 pm
FireBird99 says...

I'm half and half. I use some of the British spellings but mostly the American spelling.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.

I'm not quiet. I'm just plotting.

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:37 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Random fun fact (and this wasn't verified by a reliable source and in fact isn't really from a super reliable source to begin with, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong): Webster (the guy behind Webster's dictionary who, as mentioned above, wanted to distinguish America from Britain through the language) tried to change 'tongue' to 'tung' but people were basically like "Heck naw, that too weird bro!" and that's why American and British still use tongue :)
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:58 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

What I found from the 'Etymology and Spelling' section of the "Tire" article on Wikipedia when I randomly looked it up one day. Quite interesting.

The etymology of "tire" is that the word is a short form of "attire", and that a wheel with a tire is a dressed wheel.

The spelling tyre does not appear until the 1840s when the English began shrink fitting railway car wheels with malleable iron. Nevertheless, traditional publishers continued using tire. The Times newspaper in Britain was still using tire as late as 1905. The spelling tyre began to be commonly used in the 19th century for pneumatic tires in the UK. The 1911 edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica states that "[t]he spelling 'tyre' is not now accepted by the best English authorities, and is unrecognized in the US", while Fowler's Modern English Usage of 1926 says that "there is nothing to be said for 'tyre', which is etymologically wrong, as well as needlessly divergent from our own [sc. British] older & the present American usage". However, over the course of the 20th century, tyre became established as the standard British spelling.

Here's the link if you want to check it out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire#Etym ... d_spelling
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 am
View Likes
godlypopo says...

Thank you @Lael and @MJTucker for your interesting inputs! I'm surprised you found this thread buried into the depths of 2015. But, nonetheless, thank you for taking time to add to the historical knowledge of the forum :D
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.
— Proverb from Romania and Russia