z

Young Writers Society

Third Person Writing

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:42 am
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

Alright, so I've been writing third person all my life. I'm not completely sure why - maybe it's because I started writing in 1st grade and I thought it was stupid to say I was a fictional character.

All the time, I see writers saying they prefer 1st person because it allows you to relate to the characters. I literally laugh out loud, because, frankly, it makes it sound like you can't relate in third. It's actually quite possible.

I like to call it "Diary Style". It was inspired by a book I read called "The Shadow Thieves" by Anne Ursu - after I finished reading it, I felt close to the characters, despite the third person narrative. But why? I looked into it to find out, and diary style was born.

Basically, in Diary Style, you pretend you are the main character in that scene - then, think of it like the character is writing their diary in third person.

For example, here is the same passage written twice, the first in regular third person, the second in Diary Style.

Normal wrote:Jenny sighed as she dialed her mom's number in her cell phone. Ever since a boy ran away from home after school a few weeks earlier, she had to call her mom and stay on the line until she was home. She hated it.

Diary Style wrote:Jenny punched her mom's number into her cell phone. Ever sense a boy ran away from home after school a few weeks ago, she had to talk to her mom the entire mile walk home. It was almost as if her mom didn't trust her.

You will notice that the last sentence in the diary style example let's off a sarcastic tone which taps into Jenny's character without going into her thoughts - an occasionally awkward practice in third person.

Diary style can boost up third person writing tremendously - it can help you truly tap into the character and emotion of your characters without employing first person.

Try it!

Now! You'll forget it if you don't!

GO!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:48 pm
View Likes
Chloe(: says...

Nice! Recently I have decided to write in third person only. It's not as easy, but you can focus on more than one character.
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 am
View Likes
pudin.junidf says...

I write in both first and third person P.O.V.
To be honest, thirs perso P.O.V has that something that makes the reader feel engaged by the story and continue reading it. I write in first person and believe me, I've found many disadvantages on it, so I'm trying to work it out.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:30 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

What about third person omniscient?

I can handle basic third person, because that is what I always write in. Except for right now, since I am writing in first person.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 pm
View Likes
Durriedog says...

Whoa, very helpful! And Shadow Thief... wasn't that written by a 14 year old? Inspiring! xD I'll try this out!
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

Reviews: 1
Mon May 03, 2010 8:07 am
Rulani says...

Nice! Dre, I`m going to try it out.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:53 am
Pencil2paper says...

Thanks! I really needed to figure out what POV to do my book I'm writing in, and I think the diary style's perfect. Yay, one less problem to solve! :smt001
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:53 am
Paracosm says...

This is a very interesting technique. I'll definitely have to give it a shot!
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:51 pm
rachellecarter says...

You are a genius! I haven't been a good 3rd person writer in a long time! Now it's like I'm writing in 1st person, but still in 3rd person! Thanks a bundle. :D

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:02 pm
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

I read "diary" as "dairy" the entire time. I was very confused.
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6