Young Writers Society

Description

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Description is really important to me and I thought it was about time I started an article. I'll probably add to this over time and people can feel free to throw the link at anyone who needs a helping hand.

Characters

You need to describe your characters. When we're reading books, the characters are our window into your world and the more we can visualise them, the more we'll start to think of them as real people, to connect with them on a deeper level and be sucked into your creation. Some people tell their readers the eye and hair colour and that's a solid start but there's a long way still to go. You need to make these characters so real that your reader can see them too, can hear them and even smell them. A reader can't relate to a character if they have no idea what that character looks like.

First, decide on the details. Are they tall or short; fat or thin? Do they have a long, drawn face with grey, lifeless eyes and sagging cheeks? Consider what features distinguish your character from the average person, perhaps they have a nose piercing with a small, white gem or a triangle of freckles under their left eye? It may help to make a profile for your character that you can refer back to later - please check the bottom of this article for a template. If you struggle to fill out the details, try looking more closely at your friends or family and think about how you would fill out the template for them.

Next, you need to slot these details into the story. Don't just list them in one blocky paragraph as that's what the industry calls an info dump. Instead, add a sentence here and there. Have a few sentences when you first introduce them and then add further details in later scenes. You can tag them on after dialogue or as part of a character's body actions and movements. Here's a few example sentences:

"Paul, can you lend me a hand?" Alice tucked a lock of tangled, brown hair behind her ear and then gave a rare Alice smile. Her pink lips parted and Paul could see the uneven, yellowed teeth and black fillings which made her so self conscious.

"Daniel? Where are you?" Max pushed the door open with an ear-splitting creak and stepped through into a small, dark room. His deep green eyes squinted through the dim, foggy light that cast his gaunt, freckled face into shadow. He brushed a skeletal hand against the dusty wall and wrinkled his nose at the foul smell. "Hello?"

Setting

The next piece of essential description is setting. If you don't tell your reader what the room looks like or at least where they are, the action can feel very disconnected and you might lose their interest. Think about lighting: is the room dark or is it light? Artificial light or natural and if artificial what colour? Then, is it cold or warm? Is it big or small? Narrow or wide, high ceiling or low? What's in the room? You need to pick a few key objects and describe them to add a little flavour. A blue, chipped china vase sounds much more interesting than simply a vase.

Next, think about the decorations in the room: curtains, carpet/ wood flooring, wallpaper. You don't have to mention every detail and too many could bore your readers but add at least a little description. It's best to describe the room at the beginning of the piece or upon entry, before you get too caught up in the action. You can add more details as you go along but it makes for an excellent introductory paragraph and can set the tone for the whole scene. Here's an example:

The library was dark, lit only by the feeble shafts of moonlight that spilled through the cracks in boarded up windows. It was damp. It was cold. The sort of cold that seeped through clothes, that slipped through open mouths, making the breath in your lungs turn to ice. The ceiling was out of sight, somewhere high up, beyond the shadowed depths and as Charlotte approached the rows of old, crumbling bookcases, her footsteps echoed: thud thud thud. She shuffled more quietly, scared to disturb the cobwebs of the past. There were many books to search and her eyes began to feel sore as she strained to read each spine.

Characterization

But wait, I've already covered characters, haven't I? No, not quite. Characters have to be deeper than their surface appearances. A character's personality and emotions can be shown through the way they speak, through the way they move and through many little, imperceptible actions. When they're nervous, they might bite their lip. When they're happy they might smile or laugh. If they're a neat person, it might be seen through their ironed clothes and manicured nails or they might brush a little dust from a chair before they sit down. If they're nervous, they might avoid meeting other people's eyes with their own or clutch the sleeve of their jumper to calm themselves. Think about who your character is and how you may be able to convey their personality by describing their body actions.

More than one sense!

This is the point I iterate most often and it is a common mistake I see. When writing, people seem to forget that there are five senses to consider. Whenever a character enters a new location, quickly jot down a few details for each one:

Sight: What can your narrator see? Landscape, objects, people. What do these sights mean to the narrator, how do they make them feel?

Sound: What can they hear? Is there music in the distance? The sound of a tap dripping or a stream flowing? Does the person they're talking with have an interesting accent? Is a fly buzzing around the room, the echo of footsteps, the relentless tapping of keys?

Smell: Is something burning? Is there the smell of sweat or sweet perfume? The smell of sewage or fresh air? Can flowers be smelled or oil or alcohol?

Touch: When your person picks an object up, how does it feel? If they brush against another person, can they feel the heat of that person's body or maybe the soft texture of their fleece coat? Is an object smooth or rough? What material is it? Is it squidgy or hard? Cold or warm?

Taste: This is the hardest to include but remember you can be metaphorical: is there the taste of tension in the air? Does the air taste of pollution or the ocean? If your character eats or drinks, how does the food taste? Is the water refreshing or is it warm or revolting? Don't push too hard to include this one in every scene but don't forget about it either.

Profile Template

Name:
Hair colour:
Hair length/ style:
Eye colour:
Body type/ shape:
Height:
Ethnicity:
Facial features: (beard, wrinkles, face shape etc.)
Body features: (moles, length of nails, tattoos, missing/ replacement limbs etc.)

Best feature:
Noticeable quirk/ body gestures: (bites lip, pulls on hair, straightens hat regularly, rubs neck when thinking, taps fingers on surfaces etc.)

Clothes/ Style:
Accessories: (glasses/ jewellery/ watch/ bag/ hat/ braces etc.)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:37 pm
Chirantha says...

WOW!

You really pointed out some essential points I miss when I write,especially about the five senses

Thankyou so much :D

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:23 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Thank you sooo much for this =]
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:15 pm
View Likes
Caligula's Launderette says...

It makes me so happy that you wrote something about this; (I had only touched on it in my soapboxes). And, it makes me wonder why I didn't see it before.

:P *thumbs up*

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:51 pm
desmerize1819 says...

Hey, this really is useful. Thanks for this information.
*Let us rise and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.--Buddha*

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 pm
VolfnessWhiter says...

I really liked your tutorial, especially the part about setting descriptions, as those are what I have most problems with. You know what you should add to this? A complex list of questions to ask yourself when you're writing a description. You included some, but a whole list would be so helpful. I'd just open it and choose some of the questions to answer in my description. I know it's a lot of work, but it would be fantastic.

Though I wouldn't agree that the reader needs to know the character's appearance to relate to them. Actually, I think that the appearance can obstruct this at times. Especially with the protagonist, because you want most people to identify with them; if you overdo the appearance details, it'll be actually harder for people to relate to them, especially when some of them carry cultural weight as well. If you make your protagonist of a certain race, for example, then yes, it'll be easier for people of the same race to identify with him, but make it harder for people of different races, especially if you add the cultural differences. The same applies to weight, sex or piercings and clothes that identify the protagonist with a certain social group that the reader may or may not be part of. I'm actually writing a story, right now, where the only thing you know about the protagonist is their name and, unfortunately, sex, though I'm trying to find away to skip that, too. The whole book is about their life and psyche, and you can deeply relate to them on the mental level, but there are no appearance details to obstruct you.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:12 am
Rydia says...

Thank, I'm glad you liked it and I'll definitely think about your suggestion to put together a question list - that's a good idea!

That's also an interesting idea about how appearances might obstruct connectivity as well. I can see where you're coming from, though I always find it easier to relate to someone when I know what they look like, not necessarily because I share their background or social group, but because then they're a person. I find that when I can't visualise the character, it's hard for me to really feel like part of their lives, but when I can imagine them as myself or a close friend then I'm sucked in to the story.

Playing with identity is definitely worthwhile though and I wish you luck with your experiment!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:15 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

Thanks Rydia! The bit on settings was very helpful to me! I always miss out that.
*drops like* :mrgreen:
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 pm
View Likes
FireBird99 says...

Thanks! This was a lot of help in a small package. It will definitely help me =)
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.

I'm not quiet. I'm just plotting.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:10 am
piyaliarchives says...

Though I knew these points, I forget them while writing my stories. Thanks for the tips! (: I hope I can remember them!!

If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf.
— Lemony Snicket