z

Young Writers Society

Round Characters and Appropriate Dialogue

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:14 am
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

I can tell you, character development is one of the hardest, but most important parts of your story. Good, realistic, and relatable characters can sell your story in an instant (JK Rowling, anybody?), and bad characters can kill it. There are a few thingsa you should remember when designing your character and when they speak.

Part 1: Character Development

First is actually developing the character. The first thing to do is create their past. Try and find a way to make their past shape who they are. However, that doesn't mean that a given past event results in a given trait. Different people respond differently to circumstances.

A good example that I haven't talked about in my novel, The Elements, would be Cerulea and Crystal. Their father died when they were 10. They responded differently: Crystal began looking at the positive side of things and being optimistic, because she couldn't stand being saddened by his death. Cerulea did everything in her power to avoid loving a person ever again. Just find a way to reasonably link the trait to any events.

Next would be making them round. For those of you who don't know what that means, it basically means that the character isn't just one, plain character with a few simple traits. Even a timid person opens up sometimes, which has proven difficult for me in The Elements. Cerulea was made as a closed in person, but when she opened up to the others, I had nothing. Every character needs two similar personalities. One could say the second is a back-up: When they aren't the first for whatever reason, the second comes out. When Cerulea opens up, for example, her second personality, the kind, conflict avoiding side comes out.

Part 2: Dialouge

Finally, dialouge. First is coming up with quantity. Let's say I'm having a scene with Liat, Cerulea, and Tenion. Cerulea doesn't talk much, even when she opens up, which we must consider. Tenion is a serious chatter box, so he'll talk a lot. Liat is rather in the middle.

When you determine who the next speaker will be, consider four things:

1) What will be said or asked. Just think about what information they are sharing or question they are asking. This will lay the groundwork for the dialouge

2) The circumstances. Naturally, one would speak differently in their house then when they're spying on an enemy.

3) Their personality and quirks. Consider things like an accent or if they are repetitive when they speak.

4) Make it realistic and work out contradictions. A person that is loud, but hiding from an enemy will naturally remain quiet. Consider the realism of the dialouge. One thing I do is say the line myself in the mood I intend it to be said, whether that be worried, excited, or sad. If it isn't realistic, you'll know it.

Do that, and your novels and short stories will improve by leaps and bounds. Now, go develop that second side to your characters before they die because they're so board with the lousy* personalities you gave them.

*This is not aimed at any person in particular.

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:41 pm
View Likes
Superstaramy08 says...

Wow... your post just really helped me and I'll be baring this super useful load of information for when I write Character Profiles in the future... thanks a bunch!
Take care and keep smiling,
Amy x

Reviews: 1
Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 pm
View Likes
Lynn says...

you have some spelling mistakes,
but it was helpful
They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 am
View Likes
LilyJamey says...

Thanks for the advice. It helped - I suck at character development. And it's "dialogue" and "bored", by the way.
Got YWS?

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:49 pm
View Likes
Musicaloo7311 says...

Thanks for the help. I really wanted to work on my dialogue. :)
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm
View Likes
red_roses says...

Wow, that was really helpful. This will sure come in handy when I write my story, thank you!

You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace.
— Rod Serling