z

Young Writers Society

5 Tips for Realistic Characters

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:40 am
Angel of Death says...

Aye Aye Saint!!

If you say to be your character, then I shall act like a sick serial killer who can turn into a surviving victim at anytime. he he. All silliness aside, thanks for writing this article. Really helpful, especially when I fall prey to Writer's block.
~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:54 pm
NinjaRebel says...

Hehe, good to know that I'm not the only mental one here. I talk to my characters too, it helps get better at writing them. Nice article btw

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:01 pm
View Likes
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Maths Tests = nightmare.
I have a serious problem with characters taking over my life. I never pay attention in class because they're talking to me, then when I get asked a question I say whatever they just said. Example:

Maths teacher (so this is a mathematical question)
Kirsten, what is the answer

Kirsten (who is paying no attention at all and is meant to be giving a NUMBER as an answer)
erm Taking the uptmost care to maintain compusure upon departing.

Pupils (looking at me strangely)
my god, is she crazy. She's such a freak.

Yeah; it's kind of terrible for me because I write stuff set in victorian times so the language is old and posh :lol:
for what are we without words and stories?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm
View Likes
kestralspace says...

he! Character taking over your life? I don't actually do this with my characters in my first novel, probably because I started when I was 12. I do it with characters that I'm not supposed to though. Like my friends book. I have a character in it that is me...and she is like me but not if you know what I mean? You know when one says: "If I were you?" to yourself? she is the you! I need to stop though...it's sooooo depressing cause her life is sooo bad!

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Mon May 18, 2009 12:19 am
View Likes
RubinLikes2Write says...

Oh my god i love you. I told my friend (TrinLovesU is her YWS screen name) that i talk to my characters and she asked if I was on drugs!
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut its self.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 am
View Likes
afeefah says...

Glad to know i'm not the only crazy one! this thread seems to be a confession thread for anyone who talks to their characters! :D yeah i chat to mine quite a bit but it can be annoying sometimes; its hard keeping track of two conversations at once!

Afeefah :D

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:20 am
pudin.junidf says...

wow, this was extremely helpful and it made me understand that i have to let my characters live (they come to me at school, in Bible class) but i usually talk to them at night and let them tell me their story and whatever else they want to tell me. your understanding of the characters and their personalities is amazing.
Thanks for the help. its amazing how you understand and know your characters.Besides now i know I am not the only one who sleeps talking to fictional person and draws that fictional character, they are very real to me though.thanks
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 am
View Likes
qtbubblegirl says...

Now I wanna a character living in my head. Sable -my favourite- is gonna be rampaging through my head in no time. Love the thoughts, it's such a great idea.
Yosh, thanks for the ideas.
I'm not bad at ANYTHING... I'm bad at everything (but we can always pass that off as being very inexperienced, right?).
Know thee not, when sarcasm knocks at your door?
~_'the Qt
How random is this signature anyway.
I have two brothers. One's imaginary.
Yosh.I'd say I like you but then I'd be lying.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Sat May 01, 2010 12:41 pm
Yuriiko says...

Thanks for posting this. Really helped me a lot esp. the last tip! :D
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:34 pm
View Likes
GummiBearNinja72 says...

OMG I'm so glad i'm not the only one!! i've had shouting matches with my charecters (which is funny cause they're alot like me) in the middle of stores and public bathrooms!! :D

Thanks for the advice by the way :)
"I FEEL IT'S ONLY FAIR TO WARN YOU THAT I AM IN FACT A LIBRARIAN!!"

"I'm gonna steal it."
"Yea....what?"
"I'm gonna steal the declaration of independance."
"Uh - BEN!"

"Because...you love me?"
"Aye little one. I do."

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 pm
View Likes
mellophone7 says...

This helped me a lot. Now I can get past just generalizing on my characters in my books and actually get to know them! Although, I am pretty horrible at drawing. :)
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean." -Robert Louis Stevenson
"Write or die trying."
JA hatar pisanje.

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm
paperbackheart says...

No wonder I pass my Spanish tests.... Haha, all jokes aside thanks for writing that. I actually record my conversations with them on the sides of my notebooks. Heehee they're fun to talk to. I'm glad I'm not crazy. I think though that we're the only schizos not in an asylum because we're more useful to society.
There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and chocolate truffles. -Anonymous.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:38 pm
Destiny110 says...

I would probably enjoya convo with Alicia or Jaylee, but the whole concept sounds a bit creepy to me, as I invision myself as my characters...good advice though!

Also, you made me laugh like ten times!
The last person to mess with me and my tigerness lost his face...and his COOKIES!

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:22 am
View Likes
Napier says...

I already use 1) and 2) a lot, without thinking that it was good for me, so thanks for pointing out something I'm doing right!
I also create mental conversations, but with my characters talking to other characters. Sometimes about mundane topics, or a conversation that might fit into part of the story. I'll definitely try "talking" to my character, sounds really productive and interesting!
Thanks for the help!
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
— Paul Brandt