z

Young Writers Society

Mysterious Characters

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:25 am
Snoink says...

For some strange reason, I have read many stories where the mysterious characters are alwasy dark and mysterious and wear cloaks because they are obviously so dark and mysterious. And don't forget the cloaks...

But that's not necessarily the truth, and it sounds kind of stupid if you think about it. I've met people who wear dark jackets, and they're more open than many other people. What I want to see is a character who is mysterious, not because of what he wears, but rather who he is. What makes somebody truly mysterious? Someone who doesn't reveal who he is. And how can he keep himself a mystery?

He doesn't TALK about himself.

You probably know mysterious people everywhere that you hardly know about, but who might possibly know more about you. This is because people inherently like talking about themselves and love to have other people listen to them. I know that, when I was waiting in the emergency room, I talked with a man and I learned a lot about him and, in the end, he liked me very much and thought I was a great conversationalist. Did I say a much? Nope! So in a way, I was a mysterious character to him. And he didn't know.

The thing is, most mysterious people are not noticed. Nor do they necessarily have sinster motives. They just are there and know more than they let on, because they don't necessarily say much. And when they do, it's usually important.

So yeah. Mysterious characters are good, but please! They don't all have to be sinister men in cloaks. Please.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:24 pm
Rydia says...

I completely agree. In fact, I always try to make my mysterious characters blend into the background and I never actually say that he/she is mysterious. I just have them be more observant and quieter than most.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:27 pm
View Likes
Wolf says...

I also agree.
Sometimes mysterious people in my story wear cloaks--but that's to blend into the shadows when traveling at night, not just to look mysterious.
Besides, the cloaks are often dark green :wink:
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 pm
Gwenevire says...

I agree.
There is a guy in my class named Derek and he never speaks!
Only to answer a question that the teacher asks or if he has to speak for a project etc.
He is mysterious and he does not wear big black cloaks and all that dark stuff!
I kinda prefer them when it is not obvious.

Good thought! :D

Genevieve
xxx

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:48 pm
piepiemann22 says...

Well, you'll be happy with one of my future characters in my book. He may wear dark clothes, (You'll find out why) But really id quiet and doesn't speak much of himself. He regrets something he did. (You'll find out)
I will always fight back, no matter what.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats