Young Writers Society

Non-Catchy Titles

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:08 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

There are a lot of people who think that titles really don't matter. It's almost as if they think the title and the story exist in two different worlds. So many people will think, "Oh, this is a crappy title, BUT OMG. THE STORY IS AWESOME SO READ IT."

...I tend to wonder what planet they're from.

But seriously. Titles DO matter. When I look on the internet for things to read, I see a lot of titles, and that's usually the first thing I look for. If it doesn't have a good title, then I keep looking. For books in the bookstore, it's even more important to have catchy titles. I don't have many favorite authors, but I can't stand a stupid title and won't pick it up if it is a typical cliched story.

Ouch.

So will I give you a formula about what works and what doesn't? Nope. There are just too many titles that could work. But I will give you titles that won't work.

Untitled

Just come up with something! It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be something! Take the main theme of your writing and BAM! A title. Never name something Untitled.

Rememberence

If you look at online poetry, there are just SO MANY titles that have to do with memories and the like. It's an epidemic of memories! Unfortunately, these titles are not memorable. Seriously. Instead, take something interesting and original about your writing and use it instead!

Loneliness

I DON'T CARE. I mean, if I cared about your character or the narrator of the poem, then maybe I might possibly care, if it's written well. But don't tell me I'm supposed to feel the loneliness up front. Otherwise, who cares?

The ______ of _______

Okay. Maybe it would work for "The Barber of Seville" or other nouns that are dissimilar in nature, but if your nouns are "curse" and "sword" then you can come up with something better!

Pain

...same thing as loneliness. I won't care unless you make me care. And at the title stage, I don't care.

FREAK

That's my title. ;)

Anyway! I hope this rant has been somewhat helpful.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:25 pm
Rydia says...

Hehe. I've used untitled before and you're right, it's rubbish but it's better than 'pain' or 'loneliness' for sure. To say that this was rather vague, it's still very useful and you're completely right - The first thing people see is the title so it's got to be good.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:34 pm
Myth says...

Did you re-post this? I swear I've seen it before.

Though, I have to say, it does make me wonder if some of my own titles need to be changed!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:24 am
LowKey says...

Lol... I like the bit at the end about FREAK. Clearly, FREAK is an abhorrent title and nobody should use it. Except you, because you are the only one who can pull it off.

Very nice article, Snoink. Thanks for posting this. *saves* I think I shall be looking at this very often in the future.

Dreamer
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

I think this is very helpful, I always have problems with my titles. D;
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig