Young Writers Society

Soppy Scenes

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:51 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, you can write these horribly awful soppy scenes. Now, if you're lucky, then it's just narrative and you can cut it out and throw it in the trash can. Narrative, though important, isn't that important.

But sometimes that's impossible. Why? Because you might write it as dialogue. And dialogue, especially if written at the heat of the moment, should not be thrown away lightly.

So, if it's soppy yet has some potential, then try injecting some sarcasm in it. Not brutal sarcasm, but light sarcasm that is almost like a gentle nudge. This can be very helpful for making the scene less corny, yet still endearing.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:01 pm
View Likes
Jasmine Hart says...

Thanks Snoink. That's really good advice.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:05 pm
Critiq says...

Something about this just irks me. If you don't take your work seriously, who will, especially in an emotional moment such as this? It works for lighter encounters, of course. But not for the stuff with weight. But I trust your experience. Just, I suppose, use with caution.
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy