Young Writers Society

Dealing with Messages

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:48 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

For all those who don't know, I've been writing this novel called FREAK about five years. Obsessed? Nah... In any case, it deals with societal issues. What can I say? I was listening to the news one day, heard this exceptionally creepy story, and wrote about it.

In any case, I was looking at some of the older drafts at FREAK. Quite simply put? They sucked. Terribly.

For one, since I was dealing with societal issues, I thought, "Wow! I'm such an advanced, awesome, stick-in-adjective writer. So therefore, I have to make the reader aware that I am so advanced, awesome, stick-in-adjective." How did I do this? I made sure you knew of the conflict until you absolutely hated it. I went on and on, info dumps galore, until you throw the draft into the wall.

Yeah.

So don't do this, please. It's not good. Really.

Instead of shoving it in your readers face, like I did, try a more subtle approach. Remember what you are writing. You are writing a story. Not some weird thing that vaguely resembles an essay. A story.

Repeat that to yourself a couple of times, if that is a hard concept to grasp. I know I did.

With that said, never stop the story because of your societal message. Keep it going. Or, better yet, involve it in the story somehow. What if your characters have to face the conflict that their society creates for them? Have fun!

And never forget: you are writing a story.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:36 pm
Rydia says...

I love having issues that reflect society within a story. Somehow it makes the writing more real, more prominent. But Snoink's right, info dumping isn't good and there are many ways in which a message to the reader can be expressed. One of the easiest is through consequences. Have a character commit a crime or complete a certain action and you can show the possible outcomes through the events of your novel and in doing so portray at least one view on the issue. When your characters themselves have individual views and give conflicting messages, the story can be even more interesting with an awful lot of added depth but you have to be careful not to be overly political.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria