Young Writers Society

Scenery Descriptions

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:46 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

So, you have this really cool place and you want to describe it. Or, alternatively, you have this really boring place and you feel obligated to describe it, but for some reason, you don't know how. In any case, how do you go about describing scenery?

The first step for many writers is to think of these landscapes from their calenders and then use the visuals for that. But that might not be the best approach to all.

What I like to do is take a place I love and have been too and think about what exactly I liked about it. What I like about places is not just the visuals. I also like the smells, the weather, the plants, the animals, and other things. And with this comes the sounds of birds chirping, the gentle whish of grass, and other little things. Think about these things, really think about them and why you like them so much. And then write about it.

You see, when you hear the tip, "Write what you know," this doesn't just refer to characters. It also refers to places. By writing about places you know about and using the sounds, smells, feelings, you can create a four-dimensional setting that adds to your story.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:28 pm
Rydia says...

I think a good way of describing scenery is to try and visit somewhere similar to what you're describing. Like, if you want to have a park in your novel, it wouldn't hurt to go and sit in the local park and observe it, take in your surroundings. Of course this isn't always possible as dark, isolated mansions and spaceships on planet mars tend to be out of bounds but then you can use some imagination.

I often find that colour is a good place to start when describing things and then texture and atmosphere. What can be seen, what can be smelt. And what can be heard. All very important.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro