Atmosphere In and Out

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm
View Likes
Twit says...

Atmosphere.

This is a fancy way of describing the mood - generally of your story. So, if you're writing a death scene, you want a sad atmosphere, if it's a party scene, you want a jolly, jumping atmosphere, blah blah blah.

This is important, and what I find is that creating an atmosphere outside of your story helps in creating atmosphere inside your story.

Nate wrote a tutorial on a similar topic: article18799.html

This is me adding my personal two cents worth. :)

Now, for me, I find that making the writing session special is good. I make sure there's nothing that needs doing, I put my chair in exactly the right place, I close the window so no sound gets through, if my brothers are being noisy, I ask/yell at them to be quiet/shut up now.

Everyone really has their own little eccentricities, so go with what you're most comfortable with. I like the temperature in my room to be cooler than I like it to be normally, because then I put my dressing gown on and get all comfy. :wink:

Music :smt020

Some people listen to music while they're writing to create a mood, and some people have to have it absolutely quiet. I used to listen to music, but now I'm one of the latter class. So what I do is listen to the music before I start writing, so creating a mood which stays with me as I write.

If you're like me in this, then what you can do is write down how a certain piece of music make you feel. So: Beethoven's Emperor: quiet, falling rain. Beginning of a journey. New beginnings, old endings.

Then, next time you're going to write a scene like the above, listen to that piece of music, and create the atmosphere before you start so it stays with you.

A New One: Smell :smt116

I don't think has been mentioned before? Aromatherapy!

The ever wonderful Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatherapy

A lot of it can be interpreted as hocus pocus (Third Eye junk, etc.), but the smells helps create our topic for this evening! Give aromatherapy a big hand folks! It's simple and quick and really works! Here's what our aromatherapists-in-residence have said! ..... and so on and so forth.

Basically, it's burning oils. You put them in a burner (you can buy them cheap on eBay and there's loads of different shapes and sizes), stick a candle underneath, light it and Bob's your uncle. You can use fragrance oils or essential oils (again, eBay); the fragrance oils are cheaper, but it's like buying a paste diamond as opposed to a real one. Your choice, no pressure here, peeps. :smt037

You can use anything smelly, I suppose, just make sure you like it and that it isn't going to give you a headache after five minutes.

Conclusion :smt056

Don't listen to a word I've said.... no, feel free to mix and match. Take what you want and nix what you don't. But make the time you spend writing special. Put on a fuzzy hat on, quote Bambi to yourself before you start. Evolve your idiosyncrasies! They'll help you and get your muses working. Have fun! :smt039
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:16 pm
Monki says...

Yay! First to comment. Good article. *wishes it were longer* This sounds exactly like me. I was like, 'Am I sure that I didn't write this?' But, apparently, you, Twit, did. Lol. Nice one. *needs to try aromatherapy sometime*
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians