z

Young Writers Society

WattPad?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:43 pm
View Likes
EmmVeePi says...

Was thinking of sharing some stories on WattPad and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Reviews: 3
Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm
Satan says...

it's mostly made up of Twelve-Year-Olds who only write fan-fiction or generally angsty stories, and the reviews are sub-par most of the time. 3/10 would not recommend.

If you're looking for another site to share stories on, I would suggest figment.com over wattpad. you'll probably have to swap to get reviews, but most of the time they're p helpful, and it's a really easy site to navigate + upload stories to, and has neat contests sometimes (tho if they're heart-based, you'll practically have to sell your soul to get in the finalists). there's still Twelve-Year-Olds and bad fan-fiction, but less so than wattpad.
frickdamn, son.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:43 am
Nastars103 says...

Not a good place to post your writing, especially considering the current target demographic. The vast majority of the posts on WattPad are fanfiction--often of One Direction or other celebrities. Occasionally you'll find a decent story, maybe even a great one. In general, people aren't very willing to give feedback of any kind. The likelihood of anyone actually reading what you post really boils down to what's been posted that day. Posts can easily get lost in a swarm of cheesy fanfiction and cocky thirteen-year olds trying to sound a lot wiser than they are.
Of course, I might be a bit biased about this :wink:

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 pm
View Likes
Cspr says...

Note: Figment, however, will make you jump through hoops to post anything. :/ Not my favorite site.

YWS is the best, basically. The only place that has ever compared are the NaNo forums during November. You can sometimes swap novels with people on the NaNo forums, especially during an event, so you might want to look into that if you're looking for someone to review a longer piece. :)
My SPD senses are tingling.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Wattpad is a bit strange...well, yeah, let's just put it that way. A lot of people in my school read from Wattpad, and I admit they're swooning over the works found in Wattpad.

However on my experience, I only found a few works that are worthy to read on Wattpad. In fact, almost all of them are either cheap romance or obesessive fan-fiction. True literary gems are rather rare, and whenever I find one, I say 'what a miss, this is such a good piece. I wish s/he published it somewhere else.'

So, unless you're writing lazy works (unedited works that you just wrote for fun or for escaping bore), then you should post/submit your works somewhere else. You're already on YWS, man! Why not post here :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm
Apricity says...

Hm no, I would in no way recommend you to post your story on Wattpad. All the so called good stories are cliche and everyone judges by the cover. The reviews are just one sentence or two briefing on what the chapter is about. Either gushing or just telling you to continue. Figment though, is actually alright.

But of of all of them. I can say YWS is the best without any biased opinions, is a friendly, creative and very awesome community. So why not post your work on here and get some actual feedback? ^_^
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 pm
DrFeelGood says...

YWS is surely the best, but you can try critiquecircle if you want. Other than YWS this is the only site I found useful.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

bad fan-fiction

@Satan

Bad fan fics? You putting bad in front of it implies there are good ones. There is no such thing.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Zolen wrote:Bad fan fics? You putting bad in front of it implies there are good ones. There is no such thing.

You'd be surprised. I don't write fan fic, and I'm not fond of it in general either, but there are some which are really written well. Have you seen the fan fic entries made for the latest YWS Writing Olympics? There are some really good ones there ;)

Other than that and to be back on topic, I apparently have an account on Wattpad, but I never posted there, because I got the impression people there only post short stories and finished novels..? In any case, it didn't pull me in like YWS has. Really though, it's been over a year since this topic's question was asked, I guess by now the decision was made already xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

On wattpad there are many people that need to start using spell check or something! I was reading something on there and it was just a disaster! D= Some people need to go back and take spelling and grammar classes, really bad. I make grammar mistakes sometimes too but definitely not like them.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:37 pm
View Likes
ShakespeareWallah says...

Was there for a week...only good thing about the site is you can deactivate your account and everything will be deleted, as if you've never gone there.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm
View Likes
rawrafied says...

I'm actually going to go against the grain and give some props to Wattpad.

Yes, there is a younger demographic and yes, a lot of stories can get drowned out by fan-fictions and romance and yes, there's an exceeding amount of writers who neglect proof reading.

So why do I support it? Well, it depends on what you want out of posting your story publicly and how active you're willing to be.

A lot of people are mentioning the lack of feedback. Yes, this is true to an extent. But that's because Wattpad doesn't have the point system/green room/review day that this site has. But there are tons of ways to get feedback and that depends on how active you're willing to be. There are two ways to actively increase your feedback on that site:

1.) Join book clubs. There are ton of them. Basically, you join a group of people and read one book each week for an extended time and comment on each others story. In addition to getting feedback, I've made quite a good amount of friends this way and also got some good tips. And on a site like this, starting FOB, friends are what you're looking for. We continue to support one another by commenting on each other's stories.

2.) Comment on other people's stories. ESPECIALLY those with low reads and votes. It's the desperate writers that are more likely to return the favor. This can also create more friends and loyal readers. This is actually very similar to the way YWS used to be back in the old days when it was just the point system and review day/green room didn't exist.

On the note of way #2, this site is not like YWS in that it doesn't revolve around critiques. Yes, there are people who will give them without your consent and yes, there is a forum centered around providing and finding a critique. However, most people on that site are not looking for this sort of feedback. So, be careful before you choose to give such or it could backfire.

But on this note, this is why I like Wattpad. It's a place where you can just post your work and not worry about the likelihood of getting a person to reply thinking that saying they don't like something, without giving a good reason why, suffices as a critique. You get to write in a more relaxed setting and you're less like to run into writer blocks.

Me, personally, I'm on a ton of writing sites and I'm the most active on YWS and Wattpad.

Anyway, TL;DR version: Wattpad is nice for posting stories free from critiques, providing a lax environment to promote novel completion, while YWS is great for improving your writing and allows you to support your life as a recluse by ensuring you'll at least get two replies. <--- I'm not saying this to dis YWS, btw. Just trying to show the different system. ^_^

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:30 am
Milanimo says...

I actually switched from Wattpad to here. It really depends on what you prefer and what you write. If your'e looking for people who post more for fun than improving writing, it's the place to be.
It's more of a place to express yourself and be socially active than get critiquing like on YWS. It does have a lot of fan-fiction, but as I said, it's really for pure enjoyment than a goal of writing better.
There do tend to be good stories, but it's very hard to get noticed on the site, and most well-known authors on the site have already published or are close to it.
Looking for friends and a place to bond with people outside of school? Possibly get a bit of feedback from said friends about your writing?
Wattpad all the way.

I would say that Wattpad was good for me as a 13-14 yr old, because I wasn't as serious about my writing there, and didn't write as well as now. It's a good beginner website, and for those who need a friend.

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:40 am
AWritingAffliction says...

For a while, I abandoned YWS and spent a lot of time on Wattpad. It was fun, but I can't say that I gained a lot from the experience. While YWS is a very hands on community, Wattpad is very relaxed. There are quite a few good works on Wattpad that were a lot of fun to read, despite sometimes frequent grammar faux pas.

Honestly, post to Wattpad if you want an ego boost. You probably will only ever come across people who gush about your work. It's nice, but it isn't really helpful in improving your writing. Also, because it is more relaxed, you may be more likely to finish a novel on Wattpad.

But of course, here on YWS, regardless of whether you finish a work or not, you will improve. So really it depends on what your looking for. I might suggest posting to Wattpad first, as a way to get your ideas down, and then bring it back to YWS for reviews and improvements.
Hi I'm Flick

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:10 am
Holysocks says...

I just went over there - cause I was curious - and I couldn't even sign up. It doesn't seem very user-friendly. But that's all I know about it.
100% autistic

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore