z

Young Writers Society

Would you read this?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

My newest novel, the one I'm working on primarily right now sounded really good to me but I wanted to know if it sounds good to anyone else. Would you read it based on the summary I've come up with so far? Here's the summary:

"When Adrielle's grandmother dies she returns to Shadow Falls, Georgia for the reading of the will. Her grandmother, Lilith Rose, has willed Rose Manor, the mansion that has belonged to their family for centuries, on one condition. Adrielle must find the truth about the disappearance of Abrielle Rose, a young girl that disappeared two hundred years ago. With a little help from Abrielle herself Adrielle and her ex-fiancé Ryder Logan uncover a secret that will shake the entire town..."

Note that Shadow Falls, Georgia does not exist. It is solely the product of my imagination.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

You're tapping into a fairly large market with that, from the sounds of it: supernatural YA with possibly a touch of romance. Finding readers shouldn't be much of a problem at all.

One thing that is kind of confusing is Abrielle/Adrielle. One letter difference, and most people don't actually read all letters of a word (so long as the first and last letters are in the right place, a word is still readable without much difficulty). I'd reevaluate that so people aren't constantly rereading sentences to make sure they've got the characters right. It also looks like a ploy by the author to connect the two characters— I tend to associate similar names with either reincarnations or "connected at the soul". The latter of which can get very cheesy, very quickly, especially with such similar names.

There's also the whole "ex-fiance" thing, which, wild guess, is going to turn back into a relationship? If not, good on you. If yes... really consider what made them break up in the first place, and what would make them get back together. Most people who break engagements do so for very good reasons, so it'd take a lot of development to believe they could get back together.

To be honest, I find it pretty impossible to judge ideas. Every idea can be executed well or poorly. While a small blurb like that can give you some red flags, all ideas have red flags. You have to look at a finished idea to judge the quality.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:22 pm
EmmVeePi says...

It sounds well enough from the small description given but I second the Unicorn that the names cannot be so similar. It sounds like a good literary tool at first but will only serve to confuse the readers. If you want these two characters attached in such a way consider looking of the meaning of these names and finding different names with synonymous meaning. Otherwise it could certainly be pulled off if done right.

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.
— J.K. Rowling