z

Young Writers Society

Is slow progress bad?

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:38 pm
SpencerNolanRivers says...

I've been writing my novel down in a journal every day for almost a month now. Each day, I'll write a paragraph or two, but on the paper of the journal I write it, it takes up a page. I am still on the beginning of the story; haven't reached the rising action. I have been "setting up the stage," so to speak with the action of the story so far being to introduce the main character, his home life, his current emotional state, his environment, ect.

What I am particularly wondering is, is slow progress inevitably bad?
House: People interest me. Conversations don't.
Foreman: Maybe because conversations go both ways.
House & Foreman: Like Thirteen.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:05 pm
Blues says...

It sometimes is if you can get bored of it easily. As long as your pace is comfortable with you, it's okay. Chances are when you get to the more exciting bits, you will tend to want to write more.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:14 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Bad= not writing what so ever.

Good= everything else, even if that's a sentence a day.

It adds up eventually. So long as you're writing, that's what counts.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 4
Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 pm
Vanz says...

I know that feeling. I tend to write off/on it mostly depends on where it is in the story. Somethings just come naturally in it and others just take a while to find.

But don't worry and write on, even if you don't actually write just take note's on details etc. Fill in the blanc's and start thinking about a different part of your story.

And else, just plot it. Kind of like an artist drawing a picture. Just the crude lines, you can always add and take from it.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell