z

Young Writers Society

Anyone Feel Like Giving Advice to an Aspiring Writer?

Reviews: 3
Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:34 am
View Likes
KimberlyConnor says...

So, I started writing on another site, http://www.wattpad.com/user/KimberlyConnor, but it was kind of more... how do I put it? It wasn't necessarily serious. So I started looking up sites and landed myself here.

Now I have one book finished. Completely. All there is left to do is edit it. It's a werewolf/shifter story. I'm seriously considering getting it published. Howls of the Lost is currently under a major revision. The only thing really holding me back is, I'm 16. Would it even be worth it to try?

I was hesitant at first, but now I'm a little more determined. After entering a contest on wattpad, I have now popped up on Medallion Press' radar. They publish genres close to mine, so I think it's a good idea. Maybe.

So my question to anyone reading this is...
Should I go for it?
<3KC

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:34 am
Rosendorn says...

The worst they can do is reject you. And writers get plenty of rejections in their lives.

What is there to lose, really?

I would finish editing the novel first and research if they're a 100% reputable publisher. Also look into other publishers. And look into agents. Every venue available, really. Keep learning, keep improving.

Good luck. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:54 am
Kale says...

Go for it!

You'll never know until you try, and age really shouldn't be an issue in your efforts to get published, unless you mention it. I'd highly recommend not mentioning it anywhere in your queries/cover letters and letting your work stand on its own merits.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Reviews: 3
Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 am
KimberlyConnor says...

<3KC

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:24 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Absolutely. I think I was 17 or 18 when my first story was published so not much older. One thing I would tell you though is if you do try to get it published send it to multiple companies that accept simultaneous submissions. The odds are stacked against every story being published(statistically of course) so half the battle is a numbers game. The more eyeballs you can get on your story the better your chances.

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March