z

Young Writers Society

Recharging one's writing batteries

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm
Blues says...

Lately, I've been terribly unmotivated to write. I don't have any enthusiasm for writing, the actual quality of it has dipped and what I do write is generally in word wars but even then I only manage about 250 in 15 minutes (I used to get about 350 before.)

So I've decided to take a break. But even over the past few months I haven't been writing regularly so I guess you could call them mini-breaks.

What can I do to recharge those batteries?

Thanks for any help!

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm
View Likes
sarah2014grad says...

Blues-

Yesh, definitely just take a break. Everyone needs too at some point, or they would explode. :wink: But maybe keep a log of random dreams or story ideas that pop in your head. That way, when you do start to write again, you won't be lost. :D Hope this helps. <3

Sarah
LiveStrong. Be amazed at the little things. Life's too short to not fall in love with it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:51 am
View Likes
HumanShapeshifter says...

What I do is I read. Whenever I get stumped with something, I go and read a good book. It doesn't matter what kind, just something entertaining and interesting. It fills my tank to go spew out my own inspiration. Usually the thought of reading someone else's great, and published, work gets my gears going, letting me think, "Wow! I'll go write something awesome like that too!"

Other times, I look at abstract or some other kind of visual art. Sometimes that inspires me. Other times I get good ideas by just getting out and traveling somewhere, or riding the bus and creeping on people sitting there (not really, I just kind of watch them and imagine what their life is like and I go on long scenarios on where they came from and where they're going, et cetera). Anyway, hope this helps!

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:33 pm
View Likes
EmmVeePi says...

Or switch between stories. Whenever I get tired of one I will set it aside and go hammer out some other tale for a while and then come back.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:44 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Read fiction. Read nonfiction. Read within your genre. Read far outside of your genre. Watch tv shows that've always interested you. Watch movies. Spend time outside, away from media, in your own head. Or with friends.

Forget about writing until you want to do nothing but write. Forget fleeting interests in it that you want to capitalize on— they're not strong enough. Wait until an idea is so firmly rooted that you can do nothing but think of it. Morning, noon and night. It keeps you awake.

Then write it out and see where that takes you.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm
Blues says...

Thanks for your answers, everyone! I really appreciate it and I'll be acting on it.

Thanks again!

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence