z

Young Writers Society

Opinions?

Reviews: 1
Thu May 31, 2012 1:52 pm
View Likes
Jeraphiel says...

Ok so here's the idea;

The novel is about a secret organisation that keeps creatures (vampires, sirens, demons, ghosts etc) locked away from humans. The main characters are humanoid monsters that are kept prisoner by the secret organisation but they become utilised as an anti-monster task force to bring other monsters into custody and keep humanity safe.

The monsters are split into three categories;
Elder- ancient monsters that existed before humanity, only a handful remain.
Classics- immortal creatures that evolved alongside humanity, vampires etc.
New Beasts- monsters only coming into being now and more suited to today's environment, some are even technology based.

Storyline:
The main character is a new beast brought into custody by Pandora (the secret organisation) his potential is quite promising and is recruited into a new program which involves utilising willing prisoners to become a unit that brings other monsters into custody.

On one mission they are tasked with bringing in a zombie mercenary (zombies aren't mindless in this, they are undead with a psychological need for feeding but have increased strength, immortality and hyper-regeneration as long as they have a functioning brain), the mercenary surrenders on the condition that they help him bring back the cure for zombie-ism that his group have been working on as in the wrong hands it could lead to a mass outbreak of zombies and the end of the world as we know it.

Thoughts?
All the world's burdens but none of your own

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu May 31, 2012 4:15 pm
View Likes
Rubric says...

Howdy.

I think the concept is interesting, but does tread on familiar ground. It sounds a little like a cross between the tv show Heroes and the Nightwatch movies. However there's a lot of room in this conceptual space to make it your own, so it will come down to the particular plot, rather than the windiwdressing of worldbuilding, that will make or break your idea.

The new monster and the new proram are a good hook for your plot, and the zombie mission sounds like a good example of the hijinks that could ensure. The mission sounds promising, because it does cut against the grain in terms of what we expect from zombie characters. Just make sure you don't cut into the "cursed and angsty about it" territory that the vampire tends to inhabit.

I'd love to give a draft a read, just to see where it's headed. Otherwise, I can't really give more feedback.

Cheers,

Rubric
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

Reviews: 1
Thu May 31, 2012 7:49 pm
Jeraphiel says...

Thank you for the feedback :) I have to admit Heroes was one of my biggest inspirations :D And the idea with the zombie character's attitude is that he has already passed the angsty stage and just accepts who he is :)

I'm still thinking over the characters and types of monsters (of course I'll be using them but I'm sure there's more monsters than just vampires, werewolves and zombies) but I''ll try and get a draft going when I get some free time :D

Again, thanks :) I have to admit this is the first time I've been given novel feedback by someone who isn't just going to say it's good because they know me so I'm glad you like the concept :D
All the world's burdens but none of your own

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:05 pm
MaryEvans says...

Check out Sanctuary if you havent already. Its pretty much the same concept just in sci-fi rather than fantasy. It also has this idea that some of the monsters are locked up for their own safety rather than humanity, you might like to think of such a theme in your story as well. (Just thought i should mention it, it seemed like an interesting detail in the TV show.)
Otherwise yours seems like a solid idea with many cool posibilities.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:37 pm
zephion says...

This sounds really cool, but like others said,possibly used. I think that you could do something with it though. Make it as original as possible. Be sure that all ideas are your own and this will be a great piece.
[Insert memorable saying or term here]

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451