z

Young Writers Society

Song Writing Advice

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat May 12, 2012 2:13 am
View Likes
BenedictTheSinger says...

Hello my name is Benedict and I am a singer from Ireland. I am mainly known for my covers which genres range from POP, R&B, Rap,Parody and Dance. I have recently recorded at a studio in the US working on my promo cover track, a rendition of Justin Bieber's smash hit Baby. Studio time costed me $7000 which I saved up for thanks to my youtube partnership on my Cover account and now I am hoping to take things to the next dimension and hopefully become a star....Enough of my story, now I want people to advise me on song writing because to be honest I cannot write a song to save my life :( If anyone can share knowledge of song writing or recommend me to a song writing part of this site, that would be exceptionally great. Thank you and here is a link to my promo.

[link removed for inappropriate content]

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat May 12, 2012 7:01 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

You can't force yourself to write music. I've found that it's hard to learn how to write music, at least personally. If it's near impossible for you, you need to start with inspiration. It's not just smash hits like Baby or What makes you beautiful that you need to know off the top of your head. Start researching bands like The Eagles, The Beatles or Queen, and lot's of classical/instrumental music as well. Read poetry and learn rhythmic timing. Eventually, the inspiration will come. You just have to be ready when it does. I'm sorry if I'm about to offend you by saying this, but knowing the song Baby isn't exactly amazing. Even though a lot of teenage girls love Justin, there are just as many who would really appreciate thought provoking songs.

Just be on the look out for inspiration. Try doing things you've never done for instance, like climbing a mountain or spending a day sitting under a tree without any technology. Watch people go about their daily lives, listen to your heart when something big happens to you. That's where I find my inspiration. It's not going to happen over night. Even when the inspiration and ability comes, there's a learning curve to song writing. Learning what fits you as an artist is hard to figure out, but eventually you will. I for instance am a very happy bubbly person, but most of my songs and poetry and darker and more sad. Poetry and songs for me is to express my sadder side, not the side everyone sees. Listen to yourself. That's where you'll find it.

I hope I helped!
~Drama
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
— Mark Twain