z

Young Writers Society

Ideas, please!

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 pm
Caesar says...

Well, as my mind can never concentrate on one story for more than a couple of days, I came up with another idea which I think sounds promising, but I'd like help.
Basically, it talks about this parallel realm (medieval-ish, or not. That's another conundrum) where mana (magic, to all purposes and effects) is commonplace yet at the same time volatile and unpredictable, therefore few can master it.
In fact, mana is so ever-changing that, at random points of time, it'll 'give birth to' small spheres of glowing white energy known as energae, which possess incredible amounts of power. Some heal, other destroy, they have little connection with each others.
They spring forth from the ground, occasionally changing the landscape as the do. The places where they appear completely unpredictable-save the fact they'l always appear in a place with great relevance, historically, spiritually, and so on.
They're very powerful, but can only be used once: then they return back to the roil of mana, to reappear in a completely different place.
And their appearance inspires such greed, such lust that all whom glimpse or hear about them (and everybody does) want nothing more than to possess. them. Some, of course, wish to preserve them, recognizing their danger, others wish to exploit them for their own nefarious means. Therefore, the world has become a sort of a free-for-all where everyone seeks to own (either by conquering, political control or infiltration) as much land possible in order to be the first to obtain these energae.
There's also a third group, which, being composed of mainly scholars and influential members, know one deep, dark secret which few others do. Possessing and using energae is deadly for the environment, as it causes climate and landscape changes with disastrous results. But even more dangerous is the fact that the more they're used, the more mana drains, eventually consuming the universe in order to fuel itself.
Therefore, they seek to kill anyone that tries to take the energae and safeguard their existence, using any means necessary. They're so committed to the 'greater good' that they would gladly give their lives for it. And they mean it.

And now, my tribulations. I haven't figured out the details much, and I can't decide from whose point of view to write, or if to use multiple POV's, and so on.
Help would be greatly appreciated :D
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Hi Itallumi (It's hard giving nicknames these days...)! So, I'll give you my idea about your idea. The main theme of the tale is, sorry to say, a bit cliche. The medieval magic and mana and stuff. But, when I read about the energae, I was intrigued and said to myself 'hmmm, this can be something." And I do believe it can go to something. The concept about it is unique and original (as I believe) and its best to stick with it. but be sure to expand it! As in super-expand it! Don't only stop at the description, add some magical items or link people to it, make a history out of it. I like the name of the concept, but I think it's best to change it 'cause it's very near to our language. try to find a symbolism about energy and make another word far from our language which depicts those beings.

Believe me, this can be a great piece, there's a strong foreground. But there are lots to do. The concept is taken goodly, but since the theme,as I've said, is now common, do not only your 100% but 101% on it so it can be yours originally.

Do your best in writing, and if you need any help, copywriting or a review, don'd hesitate to drop by my clinic or my wall :)

Your pal,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 am
deleted11 says...

Hi, It (Not really, Al...)! I personally don't like the general idea of magic, but some people, like you, can make me forget that because it sounds so good. Al is right, you should change the word energae, though I don't think you should make it too different from our language. Maybe something like Galalite would work, referring to it being a glowing light with the energy of the universe. Your story-line's not perfect, but it's an awesome idea!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:51 pm
wordsandwishes says...

Hi, you were asking what point of view to write it from right? 'Cause I was thinking... maybe you could write it from more than one point of view. Like one from each group.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:20 pm
zephion says...

Here's an idea. Perhaps the main character or hero attempts to close off the leak of mana. To find the source and block it from use. I suppose that would make him part of the scholars. Or maybe he is his own group, trying to stop it because of a grudge or something. This is a great idea so far, keep going at it. :D
[Insert memorable saying or term here]

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren