z

Young Writers Society

Seba (Title Help)

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

So I'm writing this story (almost done) but I need help with a title.

Premise:
It is about the young man named Seba. He was left deaf when he was very young after a ravaging fever. So he cannot speak properly and can only "hear" by lip-reading (this is the first century, so there is no established sign language).

Because he cannot hear, Seba is incredibly focused on sight, taste, and smell. He is phenomenally observant, which makes up for his deafness. Due to his strangeness and his inability to speak, people think he is a lunatic/demoniac, so he wanders Judaea alone.

Seba remembers that his parents were devout Jews, but believes that whatever gods are out there have cursed him.

During his travels, he meets a man in a meadow. Through his exceptional observations, he believes there is something odd about the man.

Seba approaches him and they begin talking with each other (of course, Seba only reads lips and attempts to speak). The man says his name is Yeshua. He tells Seba to be still. Yeshua spits on the ground, smears the mud/dirt on his hands and then sticks his fingers in Seba's hears. All of the sudden, Seba can hear.

Yeshua then places his finger on Seba's tongue, allowing him to speak with clarity.

Struck with awe, Seba finds himself in an entirely new world of hearing and is forced to accept the reality that this man has just healed him. He tells Yeshua that he will forever be in his debt and Yeshua warns him, though, not to tell anyone about the healing. Seba is confused and asks why. Yeshua says it is because he wants people to focus on his message, not his miracles.

Seba asks what Yeshua's message is. Yeshua says "I gave you the ears to hear it." And reveals he is the king of heaven.

So I need a title, dealing with the theme of hearing, words, healing, speech, or something of the sort. Can you help? Thanks!

-H.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 pm
View Likes
zohali93 says...

What's the problem of the story going to be? Wouldn't that help in getting a title. Or if there's a.quest or mission in your story. Can you mention a conflict or quest that's going to happen? If you can't that's fine. :)
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (29:2)

Random avatar

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:30 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

The premise is basically an outline of the entire story. I don't really have anything more to give.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 pm
TheClosetKidnapper says...

How about Tucked Ears and Hidden Tongue?... It sounds weird, but my reasoning would be 'tucked ears' because he can't hear and 'hidden tongue' because he can't speak.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

Random avatar

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

I like the idea... but it might be a little too weird (I'm definitely thinking of something like it, so you're on the right track). But it's a good suggestion. Thanks!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 am
View Likes
DragonGirl11 says...

This sounds an awful lot like a bible story I know, only that one's about a blind man. So you're modifying/expanding on that? Sounds cool.
Let's see now, for a title, I'll just give you whatever comes to my mind...
  • Silent World
  • Seba's Silence
  • How I Gained My Hearing (that one's kinda lame, but if you like it, go ahead!)
  • Hearing Healed
  • Speech Found
Hope those help you with some ideas!
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

53 Reviews

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 am
View Likes
Ranger51 says...

Hmmm.... Maybe "Seba's Healing"? Real original, I know, but I like the sound of Seba's name.
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

53 Reviews

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 am
View Likes
zohali93 says...

Seba's sense's alive ?

Silent gift? He was given a gift but he's not aloud to let anyone else know.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (29:2)

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:09 pm
View Likes
servant4christ says...

"The Still Small Voice"
or "Ears to Hear"
"The Sound of Silence"
Any of those help?
Sometimes you've just got to accept the way things are and move on, but not us...

Random avatar

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm
View Likes
Cole says...

Hmm... all good suggestions. But, I'm not sure.

Reviews: 1
Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 pm
View Likes
Milomex says...

If you haven't found anything yet:

Perfect pitch
Enclosure
Reformed integrity

And then there's this which would need some explanation
A little bird/A little bird told me
a little bird An undisclosed source; a secret witness; intuition. This phrase refers to the ubiquitous yet unobtrusive nature of a small bird that, theoretically at least, is able to observe many covert goings-on as it flies through the air. Since the beginning of recorded history (and no doubt before), birds have been respected and, at times, revered for their godlike powers of flight and sight. Many Greek and Roman soothsayers cited their purported understanding of avian language as a source of their knowledge and intuitive or psychic abilities. According to the Koran, the sacred book of Islam, Solomon was advised of Queen Sheba’s activities by a tiny lapwing, and Muhammad himself was counseled by a pigeon. In addition, some early religious woodcuts show various popes listening to the whispered advice of a small bird. These and many other legends have given rise to the almost universal adage, a little bird told me, an expression indicating that the speaker knows a secret or other confidential matter by virtue of intuition or some undisclosed source.

Curse not the king, no not in thy thought; and curse not the rich in thy bedchamber: for a bird of the air shall carry thy voice, and that which hath wings shall tell the matter. (Ecclesiastes 10:20)

Quoted from thefreedictionary.com, I thought it was fitting, but I guess it's something you have to like yourself.
I have a thing for cryptic titles :wink:

Random avatar

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:30 am
View Likes
Cole says...

I have a thing for cryptic titles.

Me too!

Thankfully, I have already found something. It is a Greek word that appears in the New Testament multiple times...

Kerusso

It means "to herald divine truth as a public crier; to preach the gospel", which is just what Seba does.

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken