z

Young Writers Society

Two years in.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm
View Likes
TheSunChildren says...

Hi everyone. you may see my; Fire Princess Part One in the recent uploads. this is my current project that has taken me two years so far. it started off as a piece of English language coursework for my GCSEs when i was 15. I enjoyed writing it so much that i felt compelled to continue. since then i was writing the full version of my shorterned coursework version (which was still 11 handwritten pages, 7 over the limit but it was accepted anyway and i got an A grade for it, if only i had paragraphed my last minute shorterned last part i would've gotten higher). I grew bored and dismissive of the content of what i was writing and so i decided to write a fully edited and evolved sequel. This was the basis of The Fire Princess.

over a year i wrote 160,000 words and still was to write more and so i split the book into 2. this meant that the other 2 planned novels had to be split into 2 also hence 6 books. however since then i have shorterened it to 4 to compact the storyline without any boring bits.

I then grew tired of my narrative and level of detail i was putting in and so i began a re-write in January of this year and am now on 87000 words, only half way through.

to give you an idea of how i am progressing, i write between 10pm and 12am every night, writing between 500-2000 words.

Chapter one is around 7700 words
Chapter Nine (halfway point) is 12300 words.

i estimate it to be around 170,000 words when completed.

i have not stopped at the story alone. being an A-level physics student i realise that everything must have a reason. so i have invented family trees, background folklore, maps, city layouts, detailed history, cults and movements, religions, 8 languages (one now spoken), drawings (many of main characters and places) etc. most are included in The Fire Princess, but those that aren't will be included in the other 10 books i plan to write which are all prequels to TFP parts 1-4. Those are my future plans. i guess you could call me a miniature Tolkien in a way for the level of background story i am adding.

Thanks, Ash.

feel free to comment.
Not many remember how life there began, in the lands amidst surrounding walls of stone and pools of deep darkness, but whilst they forget the secrets of the past, they begin to riddle the future with their growing lust for knowledge, greatness and power.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm
Tenyo says...

Have you shown your work to anyone else?

It's always best to finish the first draft before writing the second. You're young, so your writing style is probably going to change a lot anyway and it might be completely different by the time you finish the second draft, and then you'll write a third. Having the ambition to write a further ten books as prequels is great! But like I said, you're going to change your mind a lot. By the time you get to age twenty you might be into romance novels, or sci-fi. Changing your tastes and styles is good because that's how you grow, so don't try too hard to force yourself into one genre or way of writing otherwise it might restrict your mind, and now is not a good age to commit yourself to something so long term.

Good luck with the whole thing, though. Those are some crazy aspirations!
We were born to be amazing.

9 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:00 pm
TheSunChildren says...

Hi, thanks for the advice!

Personally i think i will always be into this genre and i will try and go far with it.
I have showed my parents and friends the first chapter and i told them to give me honest opinions and they said it was really good, of course they only read the intro, in my opinion the detail and magnitude of the whole story inreased with each chapter, i'm eager for other to now look at my work and tell me what they think as i need to know if i can improve :D

thanks,
Ash
Not many remember how life there began, in the lands amidst surrounding walls of stone and pools of deep darkness, but whilst they forget the secrets of the past, they begin to riddle the future with their growing lust for knowledge, greatness and power.

Random avatar

Reviews: 34
Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm
kasimkaey says...

It sounds like you have everything planned really. In fact, the only piece of information I didn't get from what you posted was what the books are actually about...

I agree with Tenyo about the whole change of genre thing, it may happen.

I think it's funny how my book started off as a piece of English coursework as well. I finished the book though and now I'm writing a totally new one in a totally new genre. In fact, I have eight books planned, all of which are in new genres. I feel like it helps to write in different genres and styles to see which one you're better at? Although I'm failing at this a little; my little fan club that I have thinks that both my books are amazing even though they're in totally different genres -.- they also think my poetry is good as well...I just think they're sucking up to me tbh.

Kasim.

9 Reviews

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:25 pm
TheSunChildren says...

Hiya, ooh sounds interesting, i could never imagine coming up with another genre piece of work after all i've done for this, but it sounds good what you're doing.

Right, okay where do i begin? you say you want to know what my story is about?
the Fire Princess (4 books long) is the last installment of the Sun Child Series i plan.

here is an old and unedited version of the blurb:

Blurb:

Of the sun child:
‘Their waking eyes burn as the gates to a fiery chasm and forth comes their wrath of an unrelenting fire. Their name refers to the myth that they are descended from the sun. Over years of a tortured mind they learnt the skill of shifting their form into that of an infernal entity, to be able to manipulate and tear apart the sky, forming it into a shapeless flame. Their fiery clutches are feared, their nature is not to be questioned, for their wrath is what history told but nothing was said that was the truth.’

Hidden from the world for seventeen years Ember has only her mother and sister, Sharla, to rely on. What she soon discovers however is just what lies within her for she has acquired an ability which can only be inherited every five centuries. She is the sun child, the bane of the country of Arzuria and a being which can strike fear and destruction upon repressors. The day had soon come to leave her past behind, break free of her confines and escape into the world beyond with those which rescued her. The path ahead is unclear; the three Realms lay in the way of complete freedom, a freedom that could only be achieved through friendship, loss, pain and a will to go on for the sakes of so many lives which had been ruined in the sun child’s absence since the age before. All the world can do is watch as Ember follows her fate laid out to her through her predecessors and rise above her own anguish.'

A sun child is born every (approx) 500 years into the bloodline and inherits the ability to control fire, but with pain and much patience required. Ember is the sun child of the Fifth age, the others, which the other books will mainly be about are;
4th age - Osilivan
3rd age - Sapphire
2nd age - Rhandyr
1st age - Dynarsur & Byrnarsur (twins)

if you're interested then have a look in the drawing section to see Sapphire and the country she eventually ruled.
hope this clears it up a little for you, its very hard to explain my story :? it took me a whole year to explain it to someone in my english class :|

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester