z

Young Writers Society

Planning out a Story

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:37 am
xLogan says...

Generally speaking, do you plan out your stories? Like, with a time-line where you have a set ending, or do you just let your story flow to where-ever it takes you?

Personally, I've never planned out any of my stories (unless it was a school project, required,); I usually just go with the flow but I'm not sure if this type of writing is generally successful, constructive, what? With a few of my past stories, I leave my readers wondering what will be coming along next, yet I didn't even know either?

Just curious!
"People are afraid to die, but are also afraid to live."

[•_•]
robot fayce

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 pm
RacheDrache says...

Generally speaking, you come across two types of writers in regards to plot. There are the Planners, the Architect types, who sit down and, well, plan things beforehand. The most extreme types plan everything down to the smallest detail, and so the only thing left is for them to go write it from the outline; everything else is decided.

And then there are Planters, whom I've also heard referred to as Gardeners, and I'll throw Jungle-Explorers and Detective into the mix. Whatever their name, these people don't sit down and plan ahead of time. The extreme among them don't plan at all. They just let loose and write. To an untrained eye, they just make things up as they go, pulling rabbits and pigeons out of hats. Some are really just don't this, and some--like a pro Amazon tracker--are on the hunt, so to speak, following a trail even if they don't know where it's about to take them.

I'm sure the Planner group has just as many subtypes as the latter group, but as I'm a member of the second group and have never been part of the first, I can't help you there. Fortunately, you're a member of the latter group too!

So I can say with confidence that yes, it can be successful! Where writers of the first group could never finish anything if they didn't plan it out, writers of the second group tend to get bored and lose interest if they do. If that's you, you're doing it right.

It can also be constructive. You learn a lot about stories when you're tracking them through the jungle, so to speak, and don't know what's ahead beyond what the flashlight can show you.

The biggest advantage I know to our method is what you listed above: that the reader won't know what's coming next if you don't either. One can't give away what one doesn't know.

The downside, though, is also what you mentioned--you don't know what happens next. And if you get stuck--lose the trail, so to speak--then you're lose in a jungle and don't know what to do. Getting out can be a pain, and sometimes writers resort to just giving up and taking a helicopter lift out.

Another downside is that rough drafts can end up all over the place, because you find out that you weren't tracking a rare species of monkey but a gigantic tiger instead, and so all your preparations aren't helping much. In other words, this means lots of revising later to get the ending to match the beginning.

In the end, do what gets the story written.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

29 Reviews

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 pm
xLogan says...

RachaelElg wrote:Generally speaking, you come across two types of writers in regards to plot. There are the Planners, the Architect types, who sit down and, well, plan things beforehand. The most extreme types plan everything down to the smallest detail, and so the only thing left is for them to go write it from the outline; everything else is decided.

And then there are Planters, whom I've also heard referred to as Gardeners, and I'll throw Jungle-Explorers and Detective into the mix. Whatever their name, these people don't sit down and plan ahead of time. The extreme among them don't plan at all. They just let loose and write. To an untrained eye, they just make things up as they go, pulling rabbits and pigeons out of hats. Some are really just don't this, and some--like a pro Amazon tracker--are on the hunt, so to speak, following a trail even if they don't know where it's about to take them.

I'm sure the Planner group has just as many subtypes as the latter group, but as I'm a member of the second group and have never been part of the first, I can't help you there. Fortunately, you're a member of the latter group too!

So I can say with confidence that yes, it can be successful! Where writers of the first group could never finish anything if they didn't plan it out, writers of the second group tend to get bored and lose interest if they do. If that's you, you're doing it right.

It can also be constructive. You learn a lot about stories when you're tracking them through the jungle, so to speak, and don't know what's ahead beyond what the flashlight can show you.

The biggest advantage I know to our method is what you listed above: that the reader won't know what's coming next if you don't either. One can't give away what one doesn't know.

The downside, though, is also what you mentioned--you don't know what happens next. And if you get stuck--lose the trail, so to speak--then you're lose in a jungle and don't know what to do. Getting out can be a pain, and sometimes writers resort to just giving up and taking a helicopter lift out.

Another downside is that rough drafts can end up all over the place, because you find out that you weren't tracking a rare species of monkey but a gigantic tiger instead, and so all your preparations aren't helping much. In other words, this means lots of revising later to get the ending to match the beginning.

In the end, do what gets the story written.

I'm glad we can relate on that! I guess we all find ourselves just stuck in a rut at some point in time and the only thing manageable might just be a helicopter. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

[•_•]
robot fayce

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:27 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

I've never planned out my novels in detail. I do, however, write down 3 important parts in my story before I ever write it. I write down the Main Characters of the story, the Plot, and the setting. Ninety percent of the time I find that, by the time I'm done writing, the plot has changed from the original outline, but writing down a plot gives me at least something I can work with.
If I plan all out I end up losing interest in the story. But if I just make a simple outline and leave the bigger details to my spontaneous imagination I stay interested.
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

29 Reviews

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:02 am
xLogan says...

ShadowPrincess16 wrote:I've never planned out my novels in detail. I do, however, write down 3 important parts in my story before I ever write it. I write down the Main Characters of the story, the Plot, and the setting. Ninety percent of the time I find that, by the time I'm done writing, the plot has changed from the original outline, but writing down a plot gives me at least something I can work with.
If I plan all out I end up losing interest in the story. But if I just make a simple outline and leave the bigger details to my spontaneous imagination I stay interested.

Very well said - generally speaking, when I used to be an avid writer I had a plan in my head, or at least an idea of where the story would go from that point... Of course, like all other things, the story changes, and so does my thoughts about it! :mrgreen:

It's no fun planning urrything out, now. :P

[•_•]
robot fayce

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:37 am
EloquentDragon says...

I am a plotter--but only b/c ideas usually come to me so fast I HAVE to write them down that instant...and that isn't possible to do b/c I write relatively slow.
So I guess I'm a sub-category of the planner category---I am a "noter." I scribble down ideas and scenes and quips of dialogue, and then usually sit down and try to put it all together in a way that makes sense. It's usually only a beginning though, the scenes are very rough and I have a lot of freedom. i move stuff around a lot, cut stuff, improve stuff, etc.
I never know where I'm going though, I don't think I've ever known an ending to anything before I started writing except maybe one story. I usually dream about my stuff, my characters are always walking around in my head. it's as if they're they ones writing the story at times. ;)
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 pm
belowforty says...

Well, I am a plotter. Usually I plan a plot in my mind and then I flow with the thoughts around it. Slowly I place character around the plot and in this way I tell my story. I agree with this point that most of the time we writing and the plot has changed from original one. But still I am more comfortable with planning a plot and then working on it.

Reviews: 3
Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:46 pm
Panic says...

I usually don't plan anything out, and just let my mind drift. I find that it makes things easier and more interesting than having to stick to an exact blur print of a story. I like my stories to take on a life of it's own and see how it goes from there. Though, it seems like a planner would be more organized and get the job done while people like me who don't plan out, usually let the story drag on, never getting to important points in the story. I don't think there is anything wrong with either way, but each style has its own pro's and con's.

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100