z

Young Writers Society

Plot-less

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 pm
View Likes
hopeispeace says...

I have an issue here; I'm never disciplined enough to write out my plots before I start them, and usually end up giving up on plot required writings. I've turned to poetry but I feel like it's just out of laziness. Really, I enjoy writing the lyrics to songs and the dramatic dialogue that I've included in unfinished plays.
But, can anyone give me tips on how to write out the plot first? I have ideas, I just can't seem to apply them to a bigger picture before I start writing. Help! Thanks.
~HopeisPeace

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:53 pm
View Likes
EloquentDragon says...

First off, it doesn't have to be tedious or lenghty/detailed. Use index cards, a great invention! Just write done the major points. If you write plays or screenplays you should know what these are: Hook, dilema, turning point, reversal, climax, etc. Write fast. Don't worry about getting something "right," you can always go back and change stuff later.
I usually start with a character. If something sticks out to me I brew over it for a while until I've got some basic idea for a story. Pull from your imagination, don't be concerned with accuracy.
Get some good books. Check out a few from the "writer's" section of the library. See how they suggest you write out the plot. You can find stuff on the internet to. Formulas and what not.
Post your idea on here too. people won't steal it and they can help the idea improve and help you avoid some (embarrasing) mistakes.
Above, keep plugging away at it until something shines.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 am
hopeispeace says...

Thanks, that really helps. I think I will post my newest script idea when I get the chance. And index cards are a great idea; I usually end up in a tornado of torn out paper...Anyway, thanks for the advise!
~HopeisPeace

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 am
Rosendorn says...

You could also not write out your plot before hand. Writing and discovering the plot as you go is a very viable method of writing, and one that several of my friends use.

Past that, I would use the index card method to keep track of major plot points as you think of them. I would, however, leave plenty of room to find new conflicts and character development to happen naturally, to keep you interested.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil