z

Young Writers Society

Got Inspiration?

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:03 am
View Likes
firefly882 says...

So, I've been working on this idea for a fantasy novel for the better part of three years now. My checklist is as follows:

--Established plot, check.
--Characters with depth, check.
--Background information for this world, check.
--Progress, three long-winded chapters in need of a serious overhaul.

Uh-oh. Three years, and only three chapters? This doesn't seem to be a very positive trend. I have everything I need, all of which I've organized onto a website (feel free to visit and give your opinions: CLICK ME!) for not only my convenience but my *crosses fingers* future audience's as well, and I know exactly where I want my novel to go. Yet it feels as though I'm just stuck in the mud.

So how have you handled the burdens of writer's block? Where do you go/what do you do to find your inspiration?
"Have I ever told you the story about how our kingdom was nearly torn apart by greed and betrayal? No? Well then gather 'round, my children, and let Ol' Nan tell you about the Legends of Arenthul." ~Naneria

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

I look at the plot and see why I don't want to write it.

I need something to keep me interested. Either that is new ideas, some secret even I don't know, characters that decide to grow right in front of me.

And yes, before you ask, I have redone my plot several times.

But I've also written in the realm of 200k~ over quite a few drafts in six years. I keep writing... just not always the same drafts. And each time, the story gets better. It's incredibly fluid and what happens next is what keeps me interested. Everything has to be interesting, else readers can probably tell it was long, drawn out, and your heart wasn't in it.

Being uninterested, I've found, usually comes from not being excited. See where the spark's missing, and go from there.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

31 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:40 am
View Likes
firefly882 says...

Thanks, Rosey. The thing is, though, I am interested. This whole world I've created fascinates me; who knew that it would become so detailed?!

But I have trouble slowing my thoughts, ideas and interest down to the same level as my writing. I'm beyond excited to write, yet I just don't know how to transfer that excitement to words.

I've always been a thinker--plotting before writing, that's how I've always done it! But your suggestion is helpful. Now, if I can only just get myself to write and let the words flow! XD
"Have I ever told you the story about how our kingdom was nearly torn apart by greed and betrayal? No? Well then gather 'round, my children, and let Ol' Nan tell you about the Legends of Arenthul." ~Naneria

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:02 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

In that case. xD

Forget about making it exciting. Your first draft will be bad. It is supposed to be bad. That is why rewriting was invented. :P Make it rambly, info-dumpy, badly paced and your characters behaving all over the place.

Let new twists show up randomly. Don't stick to your plot if it feels forced. Let your characters develop in new directions.

Once you have let yourself be terrible for a draft, you then have something to work from. You let it sit, then you edit. And maybe rewrite. Depends on how much your plot decides to deviate on its own time. You can plan it as much as you want, but stories tend to get their own life to them once you start writing. That's normal.

Stop getting in your own way and wanting it to be good. Or even mediocre. Chances are it will be bad, and once you have the bad stuff out, you can work on making it better.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

31 Reviews

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 am
firefly882 says...

Words of wisdom ;)

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet