z

Young Writers Society

the summary of my new novel, Keychain Magic... support?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:29 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Being that I'm having trouble starting my novel... I was thinking maybe I could try a different approach such as character sketching or world creating. I looked up some information on mythological creatures and I'm trying to come up with some mixtures or at least some new ideas of my own. Is there anyone who has a suggestion about what I could do before I get ready to write? It just doesn't seem to be flowing right now...
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

Let it not flow. You'll have parts where nothing flows, and you'll want it "perfect", but there is no such thing as "perfect" in writing. Especially when you're starting a story.

Just start where you think is best for now and keep writing. If you want to do a major time skip after a scene, and that's the new beginning spot? That's just fine.

The reason I am emphasizing "just write" is, I have written the first 20k of my novel over fifteen times, and I'm only now getting close to "good". I'll have to edit at least one more time to come up with something that gets rid of trouble spots, but I don't even know they're trouble spots until I get farther into the novel.

You have to be willing to go "good enough" and keep going, else you will never write.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Just posted the prologue!

Thank you for your advice, Rosey Unicorn. You're right. Sometimes things just don't need to flow.
Music <3

Death Cab for Cutie - Funeral For A Friend - A Day To Remember - Taking Back Sunday - Safetysuit - There For Tomorrow - OneRepublic - All American Rejects - Yellowcard - Motion City Soundtrack

7 Reviews

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

The prologue and Chapter One are both up! Please critique them when you get the chance. Thank you.
Music <3

7 Reviews

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Can I have some help developing my Main Character?

She is a seventeen year old girl named Serafina Mathonwy. She is emotional and unique, a misfit, hidden in a crowd easily, and preparing to be an artist and journalist in college.

Any other traits I should give her?
Music <3

1272 Reviews

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:48 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Keep writing her. Let her develop naturally as you keep moving forward in the writing, instead of coming up with a rigid template for who she should be, that might prevent you from going off a new and better path because that's not the way it "should" be.

I'd focus on her backstory instead. Figure out why she's the way she is. Knowing the "why" she behaves that way will tell you how she'll develop in the future. Backstory can also give you world views, hobbies, phobias... a giant list of things. Just figure out what makes sense for who she is.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:22 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Ok, I'm making progress. Anyone who is interested in reading the prologue of Keychain Magic please do so. It has been posted in the Read/Write section and desperately needs a critique.
Music <3

7 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Wrote the first two chapters and I'm editing them. They sound very boring and ordinary. Suggestions?
Music <3

1272 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm
Rosendorn says...

Do they have any conflict in them? That's what determines if something is boring or not. That, or predictable conflict. If you think readers will be able to tell what happens next, then you should probably make it more unpredictable.

7 Reviews

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 pm
MoonlightMayhem says...

Thank you. I have a lack of conflict so far. I'll work on that.
Music <3

We do have funerals for the living. They're called birthday parties.
— Jill Biden (fictitiously), Hope Never Dies