z

Young Writers Society

the idea of dystopian woe and doom

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:58 pm
Snoink says...

Uh huh. This Christmas, I got a plot bunny for Christmas. I've written several hundred words of it so far... AND I AM SO EXCITED.

So, I know what you're thinking (actually, you're probably not thinking this at all, but I don't care because I AM SO EXCITED): "Would I be interested in this story?" And the answer to this, of course, is absolutely not. In fact, I am probably the only one who would actually care for this idea because it's somewhat offensive. It's like... Benson and Rand and Dostoevsky and Bradbury and Farmer all rolled up in a little dystopian ball. Weird? Uh huh. Awesome? Completely. Offensive? You betcha.

Did I mention Benson? Uh huh. Uh huh. Definitely. Also, I love dystopian writers, lol. Dostoevsky isn't very dystopian, mind you, but the idea kind of steals from his short story (OR RATHER, Ivan Karamazov's short story) so, HA.

Also, you might be like... how does Benson and Rand go together at all? Good question! But, remember in Benson's "Lord of the World" you have a description of what I think is... Comtism? Either that or Materialism. ANYWAY. I really like the way Benson put that, especially when the woman went into the... can you even call it a church? I don't think you can. But, she was doing reflection to find herself. Meditation, I guess. So, this is kind of fan fiction from that scene.

And I know you're thinking, "FARMER?! WTF?!" NO. It's not THAT hard of a science fiction novel. But, I am stealing her idea of the whole bilingual language thing. Why? BECAUSE. Our family is getting bilingual too. We'll be like, "Si tú quieres" when we mean "If you want" and so on. I mean, I don't even say, "What?" anymore. I say "¿Qué?" And, I don't mean to say that! It just pops out more easily than "What?" and so on. If I try to say "What?" it stumbles on my lips. So, I am going to write a story with Spanish in it, and I am going to be completely unapologetic about it and if people complain, I don't give a crap, lol.

SO. Right now I am playing with this idea... should I start with the human sacrifice scene... or not? Right now I am leaning towards "Yes" because I think it would be startling and cool. I mean, who DOESN'T want to read about a human sacrifice?! It's the cool thing to do! Plus, I love the reason why the sacrifice is performed. I mean, I get to develop a religion! Isn't that AWESOME?

Anyway. Yeah. WOOHOO! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 am
Blues says...

Did I just hear dystopia?

DYSTOPIA <3

I'm going to try my hand at writing some dystopian fiction soon. I've already drawn maps, had ideas for the society (not everyone has the right to have kids, the only language allowed to be spoken is X, everyone follows religion Y) and I'm just incredibly excited.

In real life, human sacrifices are ... strange. But in fiction, it gets the WOW factor. I like shocking beginnings *Nods*

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:33 pm
CSheperd says...

I've been trying my hand at dystopic writing for the last couple of months(Ever since watching Metropolis). I've been rolling with the question of what would happen if the general masses were denied flavor, and instead of filling meals it was dry pellet food. I got the idea watching my dog eating gravytrain and wondering if people could be that satisfied with the same thing for years on end, like eating ramen everyday and then just growing tired of it.
I threw in elements of cannibalism, skirmishes for table scraps, and state brutality.

Most people think dystopic writing is dead or a dime a dozen, but i still like to think there's a place for it.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 am
purpleandblue22 says...

If dystopian is dead, well, I think people like us have a problem. I have completely fallen in love with it and my little story is getting enough spunk to smack those non-believers over their silly little heads for thinking that my charactors are going to leave them like that. Hmph.

If you want a review, you have on here!
"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often suprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."Ralph Waldo Emerson

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 am
noninjaes says...

Dystopian stories are definitely not dead.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 am
Alpha says...

It's NOT. It won't die until it drops out of the minds of every single writer. The Hunger Games is dystopian. Divergent (my favorite book for this summer) is also fystopian. Wither, too.
I'm thinking of writing dystopian too.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm
Blues says...

*is now so forming a dystopian club when clubs are up*

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 pm
Snoink says...

Dude, I will totally join that. XD FREAK, after all, is another dystopia. And that's the novel which is most complete right now!

I actually have another Christian dystopian novel that I am thinking about, which is slightly more formed than this little inkling of a novel, so I am going to go with that. Especially since it has the oh-so-juicy topic of science versus Christianity, which I kind of love, and it uses certain aspects of Ancient Greek society. And it has a naughty use of bioengineering. Uh huh. Did I mention that I am in love?

It's also based on 1 Samuel 3. Uh huh. :D

It's called "Brains."
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:24 pm
Angel of Death says...

I love dystopia! And I love this idea. Also, human sacrifices seem like a lovely way to start off a story.
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm
Sureal says...

Have you still not finished FREAK? I want to read it already!

I seem to remember you not being all that intersted in getting published - and going by your OP here, you don't seem to be interested in writing 'commerical' stories.

Have you considered going the indie writer route, with self-publishing and whatnot? You can get your novels onto Kindle easily enough, and sell them for 99c. Won't get your a large audience, will make you almost no money - but will let you share your creations with people without having to worry about selling out.

(Assuming you ever finish FREAK, of course. =P)
I wrote the above just for you.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm
Lava says...

Snoink wrote:Dude, I will totally join that. XD FREAK, after all, is another dystopia. And that's the novel which is most complete right now!

I actually have another Christian dystopian novel that I am thinking about, which is slightly more formed than this little inkling of a novel, so I am going to go with that. Especially since it has the oh-so-juicy topic of science versus Christianity, which I kind of love, and it uses certain aspects of Ancient Greek society. And it has a naughty use of bioengineering. Uh huh. Did I mention that I am in love?

It's also based on 1 Samuel 3. Uh huh. :D

It's called "Brains."

Oh totally interested in that.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

We wandered the halls of an infinite magic nursing home, led by a hippo nurse with a torch. Really, just an ordinary night for the Kanes.
— Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire